Royal Icing Help

Decorating By sambugjoebear Updated 2 May 2008 , 3:12pm by sambugjoebear

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 9

Last night I tried to make RI daisies. Um, yeah...didn't work. First, the icing was too thin- the petals kept running together after they were piped. Ok, so I added more powdered sugar. Same thing happened. I finally ended up with too stiff of an icing that couldn't be piped thumbsdown.gif

What's the trick with Royal icing and making flowers? I just can't seem to get it. Does anyone have a special RI recipe that they use that gets great results? Please help- the cake is for tomorrow. icon_eek.gif

8 replies
KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 9

I just use Wilton's royal icing recipe and I've never had a proble with it.

Royal Icing

3 Tablespoons Wilton Meringue Powder
1 lb. (4 cups) confectioners' sugar (about 1lb.)
6 Tablespoons warm water*
Beat all ingredients until icing forms peaks (7-10 minutes at low speed with a heavy-duty mixer, 10-12 minutes at high speed with a hand-held mixer). Recipe makes 3 cups.

NOTE: Keep all utensils completely grease-free for proper icing consistency.

* For stiffer icing, use 1 tablespoon less water.

**When using large countertop mixer or for stiffer icing, use 1 tablespoon less water.

Thinned Royal Icing: To thin for pouring, add 1 teaspoon water per cup of royal icing. Use grease-free spoon or spatula to stir slowly. Add ½ teaspoon water at a time until you reach proper consistency.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 9

Just what KCSCARLET said. This is a no fail recipe. I've made it several times and NEVER had a problem with it.

Good Luck!

sambugjoebear Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 9

Guess I need to invest in some meringue powder. thanks! icon_smile.gif

p.s. how will I know when it's at the right consistency?

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 9

I think sometimes I lose track of time and think I've beaten the RI enough. I had something similar to what you describe happen to me, then turned the mixer back on and increased it one speed and let it go a few minutes longer - turned out that was the problem.

I hope you can get it to work for you!

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:13pm
post #6 of 9

Normally, the "main" recipe is a good consistency for flowers. But after you make a few you can better determine is it is working for you, then adjust as necessary.

Make sure everything is grease-free though or even that won't work!!

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:17pm
post #7 of 9

I have found that humidity is not a kind to RI!!!!!

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 9

I've only used the Wilton recipe and I have had a few batches fail. I believe my problems were not enough mixing and grease contamination of my utensils.

I now have a dishwasher and a Kitchen Aid stand mixer and have no problems since.

To thicken Royal Icing I use cornstarch.

sambugjoebear Posted 2 May 2008 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by southaustingirl

I have found that humidity is not a kind to RI!!!!!

Are you serious?! I'm in Ohio, we're full of humidity! Yea, go me! icon_eek.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

Well, my utensils were grease free (I had just re-washed them before I used them). I have a hand mixer, so beat on high speed for 10 minutes. Apparently that wasn't long enough. icon_sad.gif I guess I'll have to buy an extra bag of PS and keep on trying.

Thanks for all of the input! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%