Painting Or Coloring Fondant

Decorating By Bakingbythebeach Updated 2 May 2008 , 12:47pm by rmbias1

Bakingbythebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingbythebeach Posted 2 May 2008 , 11:59am
post #1 of 3

My son's 'girl friend' (they are 6) is about to have a birthday. Her Mom wants me to make her a Tinkerbell cake. I have the cake idea already, but I need to make a pretty good size Tink to stand up on top. I used to work in a commercial bakery and the owner was constantly using edible markers to color the fondant for cut outs like this one will be. However, I do not have any and I was planning on using crayola markers. The child will not let any one eat Tink anyway, so not being edible is not a problem. My question is how in the world to get the proper skin tone for her. Would I try to use a watered down brown marker, or watered down skintone Wilton coloring, or just regular facial make-up slightly watered down to make it pale? Any ideas would be great!

2 replies
Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 2 May 2008 , 12:18pm
post #2 of 3

I would use a toned down skin tone. The brown would be too dark regardless of how light you think you can achieve the tone.
I would just do a test run with the markers on a piece of fondant to see how well it works before applying it to my original piece.
Good luck
Can't wait to see the photos.

rmbias1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmbias1 Posted 2 May 2008 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 3

It's been a really long time since I have had crayola markers, but if I'm not mistaken I am pretty sure they had a skin tone color in some of the larger packs. Wouldn't swear to it though. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%