Wilton Classes

Decorating By coydame Updated 2 May 2008 , 11:44am by Tona

coydame Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coydame Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 9

I am pretty new to cake decorating and I wanted to know if the Wilton Classes that are hold at local arts and crafts stores worth it? I really want to learn as much as I can and I have looked through the books for courses 1-3 and I am not sure this is the end product that I am looking for. I know you have to start somewhere I just wanted to know it any of you all found the classes to be a benefit or if it would be better to see if local bakeries held classes. THANKS![/center]

8 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 9

I am a visual learner, so the classes were well worth it for me. They are very reasonably priced for the hours of instruction that you get, and they teach all of the basic skills if you take all 4 classes - covering in BC and fondant, basic piping skills, basic flower-making, etc.. The supplies are conveniently packaged and can be bought right in the store, usually with a coupon. So many tips and techniques are shown in class that can't be adequately covered in a printed book - how to hold and position tools, the easiest way to accomplish your goal, how to recover from mistakes (other than eat them icon_lol.gif ). I wanna be Colette Peters when I grow up, but good basic skills form the foundation. I say just do it thumbs_up.gif

Candes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candes Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 9

I really enjoyed it. It's a great hands on class AND you can get instant feed back on your technique.

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 9

I just finished course 1 and am starting course 2 tonight. In my opinion, it's well worth the money. I learned so much in the 4 classes of course 1 that I know I never would have learned otherwise. Like a pp said, I'm a visual learner and my instructor was able to show me things that I never would have been able to do with a book only. I say, go for it!

Becca

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:36am
post #5 of 9

Yep, I think their worth it icon_smile.gif I finished I and III and am starting II next week.

Michael's has had the courses on sale half off the last couple months too, so that's an added bonus.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:21am
post #6 of 9

What is it you are looking for?

As other's said Wilton classes are great for the basics. If you have never done any cake decorating, then it is a wonderful place to start. If you have some experince you can still learn alot of tips and tricks. And as was stated above some people are visual learners and for them the classes are a big plus.

At Michaels May and June classes are 40% off which makes them $21 for four two hour lessons. July will be 50% off or $17.50 and will have a pretty cool free gift.

minorfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minorfan Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:36am
post #7 of 9

The courses are well worth it, the tips and basic hands on learning is invaluable. I even retook course 2 and 3 to pick up things I did not do well with the first time around.

Still hate the BC rose but fondant is wonderful.

The books look very basic but really end up just being a guide of what to bring to class.

Our instructor was wonderful and willing to teach us different items that were not part of the regular class and alway available by email. Also told us all about this site and many others along with the upcoming ICES convention.

Not only is the class a great basic learning enviroment it gives you people to talk to about cake decorating. Picked up a few new friends with this new hobby.

DO IT!!!!

coydame Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coydame Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:54am
post #8 of 9

thank all of you all for the quick responses. My class starts Saturday and I am pretty excited! I will be sure to post my cakes

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 2 May 2008 , 11:44am
post #9 of 9

Wilton is where I started and I loved the classes and learned alot you need to start basic and build on your knowledge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%