Can You Substitute Meringue Powder In Smbc?

Decorating By Berecca Updated 1 May 2008 , 8:04pm by all4cake

Berecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Berecca Posted 1 May 2008 , 5:56am
post #1 of 6

Just a question here...

Can you substitute meringue powder for the egg whites in SMBC? It sure would make the whole process a lot faster! Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks!
Rebecca

5 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 6

I don't think so but I am not sure so here is a bump! icon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 6

SquirrellyCakes
Not Registered

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:22 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mamafrogcakes wrote:
Hey Squirrelly----I am always amazed at your "lengthy" posts as you said, but it's so nice to have this information. Alot of people think these things are fine b/c they've never had any problems. I like you, and many others, know that there is a risk and don't want to take the chance. It's almost like when we say "Well back in the day we did it and no one got sick...." well, that's not always the case?! Oh well, to each his own---I know there are plenty of people out there who will use egg whites in whatever they want, and the rest of us will just have to find adequate substitutes or just make something else
Speaking of that, I knew that you had posted this before and remember reading it---what I don't remember is if you ever said, have you tried IMBC or similiar recipes using the powdered egg whites?? I have recently thought about trying this like everyone else here!
Thanks for the great info as usual! [/i]

Yes, I have used both the powdered pasteurized egg whites and the pasteurized liquid egg whites and they worked well. A bit different texture. There are recipes on the internet for using either, otherwise use the equivalent. You may have to experiment and adjust. I don't make these meringue buttercreams very often anymore, mainly because I don't get a lot of call for them.
Heehee, well the long posts are a running joke on a couple of sites. Funny thing is everytime I make a short post people ask why. I think I got into the habit because I correspond with a lot of beginners and you cannot assume that they know things because it is all new to them so I tend to go into detail.
Hugs Squirrelly

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-40604-meringue.html+powder+imbc

all4cake Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 6

The taste and texture is similar to SMBC just not sure yet(still looking for you) if the meringue powder can be utilized in the SMBC method.

all4cake Posted 1 May 2008 , 8:04pm
post #6 of 6

If you scroll down about 2 inches on this site, W. DeBord also claims success using meringue powder.

http://webfoodpros.com/discus/messages/241/1279.html?961348480

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%