Wwe Cake...i Need Some Help

Decorating By famousamous Updated 4 May 2008 , 4:55am by famousamous

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 17

Im making a WWE wrestling cake for my Sons 10th Bday. You know how the inside of the ring is white and the sides of the ring are black. How would I ice a cake like that? Should I do the top of the cake(white) first or the sides(black) first? How do I avoid mixing the two colors together and whats the best way to avoid the black from bleeding into the white?

Pleeeaseee any advice would be great! icon_redface.gif

16 replies
HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 17

I would ice the cake in white, then do a "ribbon" of black fondant to wrap around the cake, but that's just me.

I am just having visions of a wrestling match breaking out and someone's face getting smashed into the cake LOL

famousamous Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 17

I have considered that, Ive never made black fondant before...or chocolate fondant. Hows it done?
With a gathering of 10 year old boys in a place at one time there is a very good chance of something like that happening! Hahaha!

famousamous Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:23am
post #4 of 17

Anyone else have any suggestions?

melissa043 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissa043 Posted 1 May 2008 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 17

I've actually made a wrestling ring cake... in my photos and i iced the sides of it black first (with the icing tip, from wiltons) then smoothed it out with a paper towel. Then i iced the top white (with the icing tip) and smoothed it out. And to cover the seam i just but a bead border around it. I hope that helps!! Good Luck!! usaribbon.gif

laurynrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurynrn Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:02pm
post #6 of 17

I also made a wrestling ring cake, it's in my pics. I used BC and then did a wrap around strip of black fondant. I recently made black fondant using chocolate marshmallows, and I added black gel to it when I melted them , it worked fantastic and I didn't need to use alot of coloring.

famousamous Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:45pm
post #7 of 17

Thank you Milissa and laurynrn! That answers everything! And both of your WWE cakes look fantastic!

I will probly go with buttercream, unless Im able to run to the store for Marsh.mellows. Theres no way I'll be able to find chocolate marsh.mellows around here, if I were to make chocolate fondant using cocoa powder, should I omit some of the powdered sugar? Also did you add your black coloring when the marsh.mellows are in the liquid stage?

You guys are a lifesaver! Thank you soooo much! thumbs_up.gif

melissa043 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissa043 Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:32pm
post #8 of 17

You're very welcome. Im glad i was able to help!! Cant wait to see it when you're all done!! usaribbon.gif

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 1 May 2008 , 8:16pm
post #9 of 17

I have one in my pics as well. I did it in fondant. I don't like black icing and it stains mouths so badly so I thought the fondant would be easy enough to just not eat. I placed the white fondant on top first and then cut black panels that were and inch taller than the height of the cake and overlapped the extra inch. For the ropes and bumpers I covered dowels with the fondant and then used florist wire for the ropes.

famousamous Posted 1 May 2008 , 8:43pm
post #10 of 17

^Wow, you are so past my skill level its not even funny! Did you make black MMF?

Awesome cakes ladies! I have my fingers crossed that mine turns out a fraction as good!

famousamous Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:28pm
post #11 of 17

Oh, I keep forgetting to run this by yall.
m going to make the poles out of pretzel rods dipped in black chocolate and the ropes are gonna be pull apart twizzlers. Now I may have to scratch the whole idea if I cant get the twizzlers to stick to the chocolate on the pretzel rods.

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:42pm
post #12 of 17

I think that would work. You could attach them with some of the melted chocolate. I don't use MMF so I don't know exactly how to tell you to make it. But when I need black, I take my left over colors, mix them together, and then add in some super black coloring. Can't wait to see how yours turns out.

hwnhulahands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hwnhulahands Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:57pm
post #13 of 17

I made a wrestling cake also and it was my hardest one---oddly. I didn't use fondant because my client didn't want anything too sweet so I used whipped topping and bought some thick black ribbon from walmart and wrapped it around the cake. I don't like how it turned out. I don't know if I have the pic in my album but I just don't like the end result. Good luck.

famousamous Posted 2 May 2008 , 4:17pm
post #14 of 17

Thanks sarah, I decided to try my hand at candy clay. I think it may work! It certainly tastes good, kind of like a toostie roll. Ive already colored it black. I tested out the twizzlers last night and they droop and then beak after a while so my next idea is to color some spaggetti red and glue the ends with chocolate to the poles.

Hwnhulahands, thnks for your help also. I imagine its very hard to please people who dont want "sweet" stuff. I think the ribbon was an excellent idea! People put ribbon on cake all the time, I would have never came up with that! Very creative!

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 3 May 2008 , 2:10am
post #15 of 17

I have made a couple of WWE cakes and the last one I changed a bit. For the wrestling ring I used uncooked spaghetti and colored it red. I also colored the marshmellows. It was very easy to do.
Good luck. icon_biggrin.gif
Faye

famousamous Posted 3 May 2008 , 2:33am
post #16 of 17

Well its done!!! Im happy with the way it came out.
The candy clay was easy to work with. I covered the poles in it and used red spaghetti for the ropes.

I ordered an edible icing sheet thingie from ebay, it has a lot of wrestlers on it and says "happy 10th birthday Michael". I had the most trouble getting that sucker off the paper, it tore a little and somehow I didnt put it in the center of the cake, but thats ok...

Thanks everyone for all your help! I wouldnt have been able to do it without you!

I will update the thread with some pics sometime this weekend.

famousamous Posted 4 May 2008 , 4:55am
post #17 of 17

Here it is in my pics. Thanks again to all who helped! My Son and his friends thought it was the coolest thing ever!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1216779.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%