Cupcake Throwdown On Tv Bobby Flay

Decorating By MACYZMOM Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 4:17pm by aswartzw

MACYZMOM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACYZMOM Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 11

if anyone seen this i am wanting to know how she got her red velvet so red, the recipie i use is red but not bright red like her's, i use wilton no taste red paste should i use somthing diffrent?

10 replies
cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 11

I saw the episode and she said "add a lot of red dye"! She added a liquid dye and a LOT of it! I actually cringed at the amount she added.

Amy

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 11

Here's the recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_36737,00.html

FYI: She actually doesn't add a lot of dye. I've made recipes that have called for 2 bottles of it and have seen recipes that called for more than that. This is actually a very moderate amount.

sugarplumdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumdiva Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 11

I agree with aswartz. I did a red velvet cake and the recipe called for 2 bottles of food coloring. And my cake turned out a bright red. I thought it was very beautiful.

MACYZMOM Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 11

aswartzw, thank you very much for the recipie i will try it out, this might sound stupid are we talking food coloring like for dying eggs?

aswartzw Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACYZMOM

aswartzw, thank you very much for the recipie i will try it out, this might sound stupid are we talking food coloring like for dying eggs?

Yep! Though, I did see yesterday where some CCers are experimenting with Americolor gels, etc. but you would need to substitute water for the missing liquid.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:27pm
post #7 of 11

I grew up around RV's my mawmaw made them (her easy recipe is posted on here).... I use 2 bottles of red food coloring, not paste or icing colors. Trust me when you put the coloring in your cake, it will be red and if you splatter the batter (neat ryhme and great name for a biz splattered batter....I'm an instant genious!hehehehehe) everything it touches will be red, so be careful when you mix, put a clean towel of your mixer if you can.... HTH, good luck!

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:28pm
post #8 of 11

I just looked at that recipe... she also doesn't use as much cocoa as I've seen in a lot of red velvet cake recipes. But I don't think that amount of dye is anything unusual at all. I made the Old Fashioned Red Velvet Cake recipe I found here, on cc and it takes a 1 oz. bottle I think. btw, that's an awesome recipe... you should try it.

It's the food color you buy at the grocery store, normally in little tiny plastic things with cone shaped tops, in a pack of four, but for the recipe you need to buy the 1 oz. bottle. At any local grocery store you can find it.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:56pm
post #9 of 11

Apparently I am the only one who is appalled at the amount of dye it takes to make this cake. I saw what she squeezed in there and UGH!!!!!!

I too was surprised at the amount, or lack there of, of cocoa to make a red velvet cake. Apparently it is just a hint of chocolate flavor in the cake.

Good luck with your recipe!

MACYZMOM Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:13pm
post #10 of 11

ok, so i think i got it, last question the cake i am doing is for my last class of course 3 wilton is this going to be a sturdy enough cake to put fondant on? thank you in advance for all your help

aswartzw Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:17pm
post #11 of 11

Personally, I will use any kind of cake with fondant. Maybe if it had tons of fondant drapes or something I would worry but maybe not even then.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%