Box Mix Or From Scratch????

Decorating By kcniese Updated 1 May 2008 , 4:16pm by chutzpah

kcniese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcniese Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 11

I always use box mix to make my cakes I have never made a cake from scratch. I just wanted anyone ones opinion on which they prefer. Also do scratch cakes taste good and are they easy??

10 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 11

First, welcome!!! Hope you come to love this site as so many of us do!!

Aww, the ever-going debate icon_smile.gif

REally, I think it comes down to personal opinion. I'm a mix baker. Others on here are strictly scratch. Best thing to do is test out both and decide want you like best.

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 11

There are many heated threads on this debate, but here is my answer.

I bake from scratch because I prefer it and I find it easy. I do like box mixes, especially doctored ones, but I prefer to do scratch for me. Now I do not do this professionally so it is just whatever makes me happy. I think scratch tasted great, but they are much more dense and some say drier than box. There are ways around that based on the recipe and some tricks like a soaking syrup, but I find that even without soaking syrup my scratch cakes come out just fine.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 11

Ditto vteventrider icon_smile.gif

Baking from scratch is sort of my "happy place" - when I'm stressed, what I want most is "baking therapy".

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerBoudoir

Ditto vteventrider icon_smile.gif

Baking from scratch is sort of my "happy place" - when I'm stressed, what I want most is "baking therapy".

icon_biggrin.gif I love it.

Mike

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 11

That is a good way to put it...baking therapy. And it is a heck of a lot cheaper than a shrink! I need to remember this as a justification for my DH. I should just tell him that if he wants a happy wife I need to bake and ride my horse and go to the beach and I will be sweet as sugar thumbs_up.gif

MystiqueFire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MystiqueFire Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:11am
post #7 of 11

If they paid for the cake, it's scratch. If I'm doing it for the heck of it, you bet it'll be boxed! icon_cool.gif

Jasmine

Batter-UpBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Batter-UpBakery Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:16am
post #8 of 11

i actually do both. i doctor all of my box mixes, but i have several recipes that i use from sctrach. mainly ICC and CICC. i think like everyone else said it is just personal opinion and what works best for you.

bevyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bevyd Posted 1 May 2008 , 5:34am
post #9 of 11

I am one of five siblings, my mother taught us all to bake from scratch.I enjoy it more than the box stuff.I have used it(box stuff ) a couple of times, it makes a pretty good cake but I prefer to do it my self.

kcniese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcniese Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:12pm
post #10 of 11

Thankyou for everyone's input. I love this so so much my DH always ask when I am going to get off the internet. I think I am going to search the recipes and try a scratch cake! icon_biggrin.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:16pm
post #11 of 11

I love baking. I consider myself a baker first and an artist second. There's nothing like baking up a storm and filling the premises with good baking smells! I bake everything from scratch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%