Box Mix Or From Scratch????

Decorating By kcniese Updated 1 May 2008 , 4:16pm by chutzpah

kcniese Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 11

I always use box mix to make my cakes I have never made a cake from scratch. I just wanted anyone ones opinion on which they prefer. Also do scratch cakes taste good and are they easy??

10 replies
ccr03 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 11

First, welcome!!! Hope you come to love this site as so many of us do!!

Aww, the ever-going debate icon_smile.gif

REally, I think it comes down to personal opinion. I'm a mix baker. Others on here are strictly scratch. Best thing to do is test out both and decide want you like best.

vteventrider Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 11

There are many heated threads on this debate, but here is my answer.

I bake from scratch because I prefer it and I find it easy. I do like box mixes, especially doctored ones, but I prefer to do scratch for me. Now I do not do this professionally so it is just whatever makes me happy. I think scratch tasted great, but they are much more dense and some say drier than box. There are ways around that based on the recipe and some tricks like a soaking syrup, but I find that even without soaking syrup my scratch cakes come out just fine.

HerBoudoir Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 11

Ditto vteventrider icon_smile.gif

Baking from scratch is sort of my "happy place" - when I'm stressed, what I want most is "baking therapy".

Mike1394 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerBoudoir

Ditto vteventrider icon_smile.gif

Baking from scratch is sort of my "happy place" - when I'm stressed, what I want most is "baking therapy".

icon_biggrin.gif I love it.

Mike

vteventrider Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 11

That is a good way to put it...baking therapy. And it is a heck of a lot cheaper than a shrink! I need to remember this as a justification for my DH. I should just tell him that if he wants a happy wife I need to bake and ride my horse and go to the beach and I will be sweet as sugar thumbs_up.gif

MystiqueFire Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:11am
post #7 of 11

If they paid for the cake, it's scratch. If I'm doing it for the heck of it, you bet it'll be boxed! icon_cool.gif

Jasmine

Batter-UpBakery Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:16am
post #8 of 11

i actually do both. i doctor all of my box mixes, but i have several recipes that i use from sctrach. mainly ICC and CICC. i think like everyone else said it is just personal opinion and what works best for you.

bevyd Posted 1 May 2008 , 5:34am
post #9 of 11

I am one of five siblings, my mother taught us all to bake from scratch.I enjoy it more than the box stuff.I have used it(box stuff ) a couple of times, it makes a pretty good cake but I prefer to do it my self.

kcniese Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:12pm
post #10 of 11

Thankyou for everyone's input. I love this so so much my DH always ask when I am going to get off the internet. I think I am going to search the recipes and try a scratch cake! icon_biggrin.gif

chutzpah Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:16pm
post #11 of 11

I love baking. I consider myself a baker first and an artist second. There's nothing like baking up a storm and filling the premises with good baking smells! I bake everything from scratch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%