Charging For Cakes

Decorating By Smiller94 Updated 29 Apr 2008 , 8:39pm by TheButterWench

Smiller94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smiller94 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 2

I started cake decorating about 6 months ago. I have not charged for any of my cakes because I felt I needed to do them for pratice. Today though I am feeling better at cake decorating and just finished my 12th cake this last weekend.

Realizing how much it's costing me to do the cakes not including the time to do them I will have to start charging for my cakes. I am not 100% sure of how much to charge though. The people I have been doing cakes for are the type of people who usually feel comfortable buying cakes from Walmart so if I overcharge they probably wont want to pay the price I will be asking. But like I told my Mom the other day I just can't be giving my time and money away anymore.

Here is the picture of my last cake. It was a 10 inch and 8 inch tiered cake, torted layers with chocolate and coverered with buttercream, fondant and gumpaste acscents.

This last cake cost me $35 and 20 man-hours to complete.

Please let me know what you would have charged for this type of cake, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot for the help!
LL

1 reply
TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 2

Oh please, you KNOW they won't be able to get something this nice at Walmart.

with your figures this cake can retail for $185.00 minimum and that's paying yourself minimum wage of $7.50 an hour.

I'm sure that you wouldn't work for less than that anyplace else.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%