Airbrush Brands...

Decorating By dennishaskins Updated 29 Apr 2008 , 9:03pm by mommycakediva

dennishaskins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dennishaskins Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 6

so, i know there has been discussions on here before about air brush machines and i've been looking into gettng one. i found one on ebay its an "airbrush city gd100 airbrush kit" and its a very reasonable price. my question is has anyone ever heard of this brand? does anyone actually own this brand? are there any suggestions as to which brand all of you amazing vets have found is a solid choice, i do plan on using it alot and holding on to it for a while!

thanks! icon_wink.gif

5 replies
vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 6

I have many different brands for different things and different prices, all thanks to my husband. I don't use mine that much, and I've never heard of the one you mentioned, but it's all in how it feels and how you can manuever it. It's really one of those things you have to try out first. That's why I have so many.

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 6

yea I just posted the other day I'm looking for one too, but having troubles with finding one due to shipping to canada. But I havn't checked on ebay so maybe I will find one there!

dennishaskins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dennishaskins Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:34am
post #4 of 6

ok.. so i continued to look for an airbrush and realized that i really dont know what i'm looking for. could any of you tell me what size pins i should be using? whats a good cup size? i know that i need to be using something under 30 psi, and i found one on ebay that was advertised as a cake decorating air brush but there was no psi listed so i emailed the seller and asked what the psi was and he responded with "5-50" is that normal? does that mean you can change the settings? i'm a very quick learner and i'm sure once i get one in my hands and play around with it i will be fine, its just a matter of finding the right thing first!

please help!

jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 6

if you're referring to the compressor having a 5-50 range then that's good. that means you can adjust the air to the pressure you need it to be. I've only owned 2 airbrushes and 2 compressors. I found that the compressor made all the difference to me. Being able to adjust the pressure makes it a dream to work with.

Also, I think you want a double action, internal mix airbrush and probably with a cup on top. From what I've read, the ones with the bottle on the bottom require more pressure and that might be too much pressure to decorate on a cake, but I'm no expert. Like a previous poster said, it's something you have to test out to see if it works for you.

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 6

Well I found an air brush. I ended up getting a central numatic compressor and a gravitiy feed, internal, 7cc airbrush. I have also purchased all my airbrush colors too! Yay can't wait till it gets here!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%