Large Quantities Of Smbc?

Business By Rhienn Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 3:10pm by Rhienn

Rhienn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhienn Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 10

How are you guys doing the cooking/double boiling part? When I make it at home, I use my mixer bowl over a pot of simmering water. Obviously I'm not going to be able to do that with the mondo mixers at my commercial space...

9 replies
Rhienn Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 5:18am
post #2 of 10

No one? icon_redface.gif

LaceyLou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaceyLou Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 5:33am
post #3 of 10

i always cook the sugar first while my egg whites are beating, then slow the mixer down and pour the sugar down the side of the mixer, then add the butter.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 9:35am
post #4 of 10

I don't use a double boiler. I just use a sauce pan. Make sure you whisk. Your only going to about 140 so it isn't that long. Stick your finger in, and when it isn't sugar gritty it's done. The double boiler is to make sure you don't get sweet scrambled egg whites for breakfast icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Rhienn Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 10

GAH! Thanks Mike - I'm scared to death to not double boiler it. I tried (actually - completely accidently.. was not thinking) to just use a sauce pan once and my meringue never whipped up. It just stayed "soup." I wonder if I heated it too fast?

DesignerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerCakes Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 10:18pm
post #6 of 10

I use IMBC only, and think that when making large quantities, it is easier to mix up IMBC than SMBC. I would think it very difficult to mix a large quantity of SMBC in a double boiler.

Try IMBC. It's very similar - using all the same ingredients - and it holds up better than SMBC. Plus, you don't kill your arm whisking the eggs and sugar for so long, especially when making large quanties.

Good luck!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 10:26pm
post #7 of 10

There may have been some oily residue in your pan and that's why they never whipped up. Any grease will stunt the whipping process.

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 10:29pm
post #8 of 10

I agree with Designer cakes. Large quantity of IMBC is much easier to do than SMBC.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 10:32pm
post #9 of 10

I put my 20qt bowl right on a big pot of water and do it... have made an 80qt bowl before and we did the double boiler thing in a regular stirring bowl (large) then poured it into the big mixer one.

Rhienn Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:10pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

I put my 20qt bowl right on a big pot of water and do it... have made an 80qt bowl before and we did the double boiler thing in a regular stirring bowl (large) then poured it into the big mixer one.

Oh FANTASTIC! I just couldn't figure out if the pouring of the whites would have some ill effect. (I have no idea what I thought would happen.)

I really like the SMBC better. I have issues with sugar crystals in the IMBC... and I can't tell you how many times I tweaked my method to try and get fix that issue.

I actually don't whisk the whites & sugar constantly. I just whisk on a regular basis. Doesn't seem to have ever hindered me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%