Eek! That Ben 10 Green Color?

Decorating By PattyT Updated 18 May 2008 , 2:33pm by CreationsByCaryl

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 19

Hello everyone:

Have been asked to do a Ben 10 birthday cake for two young brothers. As I have no children - I've just started researching. Found him on Cartoon Network; found some images; still have to figure out all his alien powers (sheesh - how many characters are there?); found inspiration from all the wonderful Ben 10 cakes in the Gallery. I have a fair bit of time, so am not panic-ing yet.

BUT my big question is....how do you get that *lovely* Ben 10 green color icon_lol.gif ?

Any suggestions on that - or any other helpful hints on this cartoon for that matter - would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone

18 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 19

Are you writing about that bright green in the logo? I would use Americolor neon green as my major color, with a bit of leaf green mixed in to darken it a bit.

Cool characters though, huh?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

PattyT Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Are you writing about that bright green in the logo? I would use Americolor neon green as my major color, with a bit of leaf green mixed in to darken it a bit.

Cool characters though, huh?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Yes - that is exactly what I was asking about. Looks like I'll be ordering some of that neon green very soon!

Yes - very cool. I've spent the last half-hour researching it, and don't think I've touched the surface. There are so MANY...so trying just to focus on Ben and the aliens he changes into...

THANKS for the advice. Knowing that neon is out there gives me hope.

Pat

booboobrown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
booboobrown Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 19

There are 10 different aliens... I don't know their different powers but my 4 y/o daughter watches this cartoon. All the alien transformations center around his watch. When Ben10 decides to become an alien, he turns the watch dial to that alien and then he transforms. Because the show is centered around the watch you could use that as a main focal point. Also, the grandpa, Ben10 and his sister (or cousin, not sure who she is) all travel around in an RV... that too could be a focal point. If you are planning on making 3d aliens then I would ask the mother to find out which alien character is each boy's favorite and work with their chosen aliens. Have fun!

playingwithsugar Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 19

I would print out the pics of the aliens off the Net, then have them made into edible images. Bake off some rectangular cookies to fit the image, and slap them on the sides. That way he can have his aliens, and can eat them, too! (yes, poor attempt at humor).

Theresa icon_smile.gif

PattyT Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 7:14pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:

I would print out the pics of the aliens off the Net, then have them made into edible images. Bake off some rectangular cookies to fit the image, and slap them on the sides. That way he can have his aliens, and can eat them, too! (yes, poor attempt at humor).

Theresa icon_smile.gif

I love the idea of the edible image cookies. Much easier - and much more clever for the boys - than what's going on in my head right now.

Was thinking of doing each alien as a chocolate transfer to go around the sides, with a logo and character topper very much like kelly75's. Hers looks just like the action figures that have been coming up when I google.

Everyone's ideas are great! I needed help...you can tell I don't have kids!

Pat

playingwithsugar Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 7:24pm
post #7 of 19

I originally though Chocolate Transfer, but I was not sure how well that would go over, since kids have a tendency to let chocolate melt in their hands.

But - you can make the chocolate transfers, then attach them to the cookies!

Use chocolate which has been thinned with oil or shortening as the glue. Regular chocolate will separate from the cookie.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

PattyT Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 8:19pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:

I originally though Chocolate Transfer, but I was not sure how well that would go over, since kids have a tendency to let chocolate melt in their hands.

Use chocolate which has been thinned with oil or shortening as the glue. Regular chocolate will separate from the cookie.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

I was thinking of choc transfers for the side of the cake - one of each alien all around. Then their names on the top along with the figure/logo.

What about round cookies with RBC or fondant built up to look like that watch thing that makes him transform? Each boy could get his own? However, my first try at rolled buttercream at Christmas was pretty bad. Might have to scratch that idea!

PattyT Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 8:21pm
post #9 of 19

...I meant the birthday boys' names on top...not the aliens...

laura_d_v Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laura_d_v Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 8:41pm
post #10 of 19

I ran this by my older two boys who both LOVE the show and are avid Ben 10 fans. They both though a topper made of fondant or gumpaste of the Omnitrix (the watch thing he uses to change into aliens) and cookies or chocolate transfers of some favorite aliens would be "awesome" and "totally wicked", as they put it. icon_lol.gif Gotta loves boys.

PattyT Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:03am
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by laura_d_v

I ran this by my older two boys who both LOVE the show and are avid Ben 10 fans. They both though a topper made of fondant or gumpaste of the Omnitrix (the watch thing he uses to change into aliens) and cookies or chocolate transfers of some favorite aliens would be "awesome" and "totally wicked", as they put it. icon_lol.gif Gotta loves boys.

Wow - thanks for the "affirmation". Your boys' feedback is very, very helpful. THANK you and thank them for me!

I just came back from dinner with the boys' mother - a very dear friend - and due so personal issues, they have to move the party up a month to mid-May. ACK!!

Guess I'd better order that neon-green food color tonight!

Pat

PattyT Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:05am
post #12 of 19

p.s. laura_d_v...

My research this afternoon revealed early Ben10 and the Ben 10 Alien Force...

I'll violate some Ben 10 code if I don't go with the teenage Ben - correct?

THANKS - Pat

laura_d_v Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:22am
post #13 of 19

Ben 10 Alien Force just started, the first episode was April 18th. Haven't watched it, but I understand there are a few more aliens in there and a new character, Kevin Eleven.

You might want to ask the mom for confirmation on his fav aliens and such, if you plan on incorporating them in to the cake. But the old aliens are still there as well. Also, I have been informed that the Omnitrix (watch thing) in the new show looks different. But we were at Target today and they still only had toys from the original series.

There's alot you can do with this cake. I'm looking forward to seeing a pic of it. icon_smile.gif

PattyT Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:54am
post #14 of 19

You are right! A whole new set of aliens. Oy! I'd love to have the action figure rights on this series.

IF - and that's a big 'if' - I can get good pics from Cartoon Network, I'm MAY try chocolate transfers of all the aliens and do a 2 tier stack.

Bottom would have original ten aliens and top would have the new ones- including an outline of mysterious Alien X. That way the cake itself could be simple with green buttercream and borders...

You're right about the watch. The original one looked all complicated with sections for each alien. The pictures on Cartoon Network show it now as pretty streamlined with a simpler center.

We'll see - I think I'm getting a little too ambitious when you combine the time and my skill.

THANKS for the info. It helps a lot.
Pat

PattyT Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:47pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:

Theresa icon_smile.gif

I know this thread is dated, but if you're still there...I have the choc transfers made with the Ben 10 logo. Was thinking of outlining and flooding a square NFSC with antonia74 royal, and plunking the transfer on while still wet. Have you ever done similar? Will they stick? Will the wet royal make the black choc outline bleed? ...sorry so many ??'s.

p.s. my piping is so terrible, the choc aliens for the cake are being X'd. Too detailed. Going to Plan B - whatever that is.

THANKS so much.

PattyT Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:31pm
post #16 of 19

I understand this thread is from when I first received the request, but wanted to update and thank everyone who gave me advice on the character, guidance on technique, and the courage to even try! THANK YOU all CC-ers.

Had to go to Plan B because my chocolate piping is terrible icon_cry.gif , so no aliens as I originally envisioned. I did the logo only for cake and cookies, and used the Ben 10 colors.

The character is fondant - wish I had a better view of his arm outstretched with the Omnitrix. Made two full "Bens" and even an extra torso 'cause the arms kept falling off! Whichever one still had arms yesterday went on the cake. Any advice on this? I used toothpicks, fondant glue and a lick-and-a-prayer.

The boys and their friends seemed to like it - one even shreiked when he saw the cookies.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1222074

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1222082

THANK YOU again everyone. You are a wonderful group. icon_biggrin.gif

laura_d_v Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:51pm
post #17 of 19

Wow! The cake and cookies look great!
My boys are wanting Ben 10 for their b-days in November, so I may be coming to you for advice on making Ben. icon_smile.gif

I'm sure the kids loved it and as I said, everything looks awesome!

Laura

PattyT Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:09pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by laura_d_v

Wow! The cake and cookies look great!
My boys are wanting Ben 10 for their b-days in November, so I may be coming to you for advice on making Ben. icon_smile.gif

I'm sure the kids loved it and as I said, everything looks awesome!

Laura

Thanks Laura!

If you need artwork, I have a pile I pulled from the internet. Pictures of the characters, logos etc. It'll save you searching and downloading it all.

Just let me know, I'll be happy to send along.

Pat

CreationsByCaryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreationsByCaryl Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:33pm
post #19 of 19

I second the leaf green and neon.

As for Ben10, there are WAY more than 10 aliens now. I'm also so glad that the Ben10 phase only lasted a year in this house. I couldn't stand the show. OC now I have a pile of Ben10 aliens in my basement that DS told me to sell! LOL! He's eyeballing Bionicles now. Geesh.

Happy shapeshifting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%