Question For Indydebi Or Any Other Mix Users Out There...

Decorating By akgirl10 Updated 27 Apr 2008 , 12:38am by akgirl10

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 9

I really need a my 10inch square layers to be 2''tall. How many mixes do I need? This will be my second attempt as my very expensive scratch cake flopped icon_cry.gif . Also, has anyone added buttermilk to a chocolate cake mix with good results? Why, oh why can I not get this chocolate cake right? Thanks for any advice!

8 replies
janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 9

Wilton says you'll need 6 cups for one 2inch layer, that's about 1 1/2 cake mixes, I've been pretty successful following their recommended batter amts, and baking times...
Here's a link
http://www.wilton.com/cake/cakeprep/baking/times/party_2inch.cfm

HTH,
Jane

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 9

According to the IndyDebi method, its 1.5 mixes for a 10-inch square. Make sure that your cake pans are 2 inches tall to start with, and you can either use the cake strips or the flower nail method to get your cake mix to bake a little more evenly and level, thus making it easier to level.

I usually have to make cupcakes for my kids whenever I make a cake (so they stay away from my cake! icon_smile.gif , so mine probably get a little fuller than 1.5. But I do mine the same way that she does. Grease the pan with just Crisco, bake at 325 until done, then cool, turn out, and then to level I stick it back in the pan after its completely cooled and shave off the top.

HTH

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 9

Jayde, that's a great tip for leveling!

akgirl10 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you for the tips! Jayde, do you grease the sides of the pan as well? I thought I remembered indydebi's method of greasing only the bottom, does that ring a bell? I was thinking 1.5 mixes for each pan, so I guess I'm on the right track, thanks again!

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 4:29pm
post #6 of 9

I cant remember her advice for greasing. It was lost in the Great Post Loss of 08. You are right though, she did have specific directions for greasing. I grease the sides and bottom of mine and have no troubles.

Jane:
That was another Debi tip. Leveling that way makes things soooooo much easier! I NEVER have had a problem since them with my cakes not being level. Nor did I go out and spend a bunch of money on a leveler, or waste money on the Wilton piece of cr@p. I just have a small $3 toolbox level in my cake kit to make double-y sure that its just right, and it always is. icon_smile.gif

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 5:50pm
post #7 of 9

If you're having trouble with your chocolate cake, try this: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2163-Darn-Good-Chocolate-Cake.html

I'm a die hard scratch cake person, and I was really annoyed at how good this cake was. I was out of sour cream when I made it, so I used buttermilk instead.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 8:21pm
post #8 of 9

You guys pretty much got this one covered! thumbs_up.gif

1.5 mixes, baking strips, grease-only-no-flour sides and bottoms of pans (I use CK brand Pan Grease), bake in conventional oven at 325.

akgirl10 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:38am
post #9 of 9

Well, I used pam for baking so I greased and floured my pan, plus parchment on the bottom. But 3 mixes for the 2 pans, and baking strips at 325 worked! My cakes rose at least 1/2" over the pans so I could do the level trick in the pan icon_biggrin.gif . You all have so much information, thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%