Putting Fondant On Chocolate Ganache

Decorating By SugarBlossomCakes Updated 29 May 2008 , 12:31am by Jayde

SugarBlossomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBlossomCakes Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:24am
post #1 of 7

So I making a wedding cake and one of the layers is chocolate with chocolate ganache frosting. It will be covered in white fondant. Do I just crumb goat with the ganache and then add the fondant like I would normally do? Will you be able to see the chocolate through the white fondant?

6 replies
SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 9:08am
post #2 of 7

I've never tried to completely cover it like your question, but I did frost a cake in choclate ganache once and then tried to attach fondant circles to decorate it. No matter what I did, the fondant circles would slide down the side of the cake. So, I would be EXTREMELY worried that the fondant isn't going to "stick" to the ganache. When I'm putting fondant on a cake, my customers have no choice of anything other than buttercream. Maybe you could use the ganache just for the filling and frost in buttercream. Or if you have to use ganache. I would definetly do a practice cake, because this has the potential for disaster.

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 10:27am
post #3 of 7

Planet Cake here in Sydney www.planetcakes.com.au use ganache under ALL their fondant (fondant is only about 1/4inch thick and ganache is made with good quality dark chocolate in a 2parts choc to 1 part cream ratio) There is LOTS of info on their forum relating to ganache.

Normally it is put on our Australian MUDCAKE style of cake.

Their cakes are shipped world-wide !!

Here is a link that gives a brief overview of the ganaching process.

http://www.planetcake.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=491

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 7

Wow! Very interesting.

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 8:46pm
post #5 of 7

Hi SarahJane - Yes - sure is........ most people that try this method use ganache that is too soft - the ratios that they use make a REALLY firm ganache - it is smoothed with a hot knife to virtually Sugarshack Smooth!! - it is left to set again - misted with syrup - and fondant covered.

Here is the You tube tutorial of Anna-Maria covering the cake........ It has already been covered with ganache, so you will see how smooth and firm it is.

SugarBlossomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBlossomCakes Posted 28 May 2008 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you all! I'll let you know how it comes out!

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:31am
post #7 of 7

I use ganache under my fondant cakes all the time and to tell you the truth I like it much much better than BC. I make my fondant a little harder as well, and then smooth it over my cake before it gets a chance to really firm up. Let it firm after you are done smoothing, and then I just spray mine with a fine mist of sugar water.

Fondant just like you normally would. It gives you a much crisper/cleaner edge IMO.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%