Can Someone Help Me With This Cake Please???

Decorating By OhMyGoodies Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 12:09pm by playingwithsugar

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:04am
post #1 of 24

Ok I'm getting married June 7th, 2008!! Yes in a little over a month. We have picked the cake from the CC Galleries and sadly I don't remember the creator, but I fell in love with it.

What I need is someone that can help me out... I don't know how to make the flowers or anything about gumpaste or fondant and need to know if someone here can make them for me and ship them to me.. I'm willing to pay you for your time and trouble and ingredients or whatever you want for them but I need help! lmao.

Here's a picture of the cake.

By the way, I live on the Eastern Shore of MD so if someone is close by that can help it'd be much appreciated! But it doesn't matter where the help comes from as long as it arrives in time and they allow me to repay them! icon_wink.gif

Becky
LL

23 replies
Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:41am
post #2 of 24

those look like they were done using the wilton daisy cutter. super easy to do. I'm in western canada so i'm probably not the best bet to make them, i dont think they would survive shipping and customs.

OhMyGoodies Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:46am
post #3 of 24

Oh Peach I had no idea there was even a daisy cutter out there!!!!! Thank you so much!!! I'll have to go investigate the local shop and see if they have it and see if I can get some fondant made and try it out...

How long do you think the fondant ones would last? I want them to be kinda soft and plyable incase someone does go to eat them they aren't rock hard... as you can tell I've never EVER dealt with fondant before lol.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:54am
post #4 of 24

If you make them so they are soft and pliable, then they will droop, and they wont stand up and out from the cake like they are in the picture.

Any daisy cookie cutter will do, even the cheapie metal ones they sell individually, check your nearest craft store for TONS of options, I am
sure. The middle yellow dot is probably BC icing thinned just a tad. I would make them a couple days in advance, set them up in empty egg crates, to get that slightly curved shape, to dry. Add your BC centers a day or so before you stick the flowers on your cake.

HTH

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:11am
post #5 of 24

First, let me congratulate you and your fiance, and wish you all the best of health and happiness!

Now, those flowers look to be a bit on the thick side, so I am going to guess that they are done with either fondant or a 50-50 mix of fondant and gumpaste.

Since you are on the Eastern Shore, and it is going to be warm out (and let's just pretend there is a chance of rain that day) I would make them out of 60% gumpaste and 40% fondant, just to make sure they won't wilt during the course of the day.

And if I can make a suggestion - PME makes daisy cutters which are so super simple to use. They are plunger cutters, and they come in 3 sizes. The beauty of them is that they emboss the veining automatically, when you cut them. If you read through the following linked page, you will see the items. First up will be the set of 2, which are smaller than the single large one near the bottom of the list.

http://cakecraftshoppe.com/showprod.asp?catid=6&mcatid=7

Then you just need to pipe the centers. I would use Royal Icing, again, because of the humidity, and because that way, you do not risk the paste softening because of the grease or liquid in the BC.

Theresa

Ah-na Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ah-na Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:11am
post #6 of 24

At Michaels they sell a whole gumpaste flower kit, all you need to buy is the gumpaste. It has all the instructions to make any flowers you want. The daisies are pretty easy...all you do is cut out two separate daisy petals roll out the petals a little (but not too thin if you want them to stand) and then overlap the daisies. Then put a yellow circle in the middle. I like to put little bitty yellow BC dots ontop of the yellow center to have more texture to it. But it will tell you all of that in the book and more!

alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:13am
post #7 of 24

I bought the Wilton fondant starter kit at the craft store (like $10 maybe) and included in it was 2 or 3 different daisy sizes, like those you have on your cake. Most of the flower cutters (they are like plastic cookie cutters) come in a multipack with the different sizes, and they're fairly inexpensive too. Once you have that, you can buy your white fondant ready made, roll away, and you're set. I used fondant on my very first cake, used the flower cutter, and found working with it all it to be pretty simple, even for a novice like myself.

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:15am
post #8 of 24

I've made cakes like this one. I used gumpaste and the cutters to make the daisies and put them on the inside of paper towel rolls cut in half the long way to get them to curve. Once they dried for 24 hours, I used royal icing to make the centers and let them dry another 24 hours.

OhMyGoodies Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:16am
post #9 of 24

Thanks everyone! Such great advice!!! I think I'll be alright doing it now lmao... I was so scared to even attempt it!

playingwithsugar Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:22am
post #10 of 24

Don't forget to let us know when the pic is posted!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

OhMyGoodies Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:25am
post #11 of 24

Sure thing! icon_wink.gif I'm going to grab me some cutters and some store fondant this week and try my hand at these and see if I can get them to do right icon_wink.gif.

And yes, it will be very humid and hot that day I'm sure! We're praying for no rain since we are getting married outside at a park... lmao. But the reception will be indoors in a "Curling rink" at the local ice rink so we should be good there icon_wink.gif as far as A/C and stuff lol.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:32am
post #12 of 24

Ben Franklin's in Easton has a fair amount of gp/fondant Wilton toys, but Michael's in Salisbury has even more. You should be able to find what you need there, including pre-made gumpaste and fondant. Wilton's not the best tasting but it's easy for a beginner to use.

Hope that helps!

OhMyGoodies Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:35am
post #13 of 24

Thanks Sue!!! I live in down town Easton, literally 2 minutes from Ben Franklin's icon_wink.gif It's my favorite store!!! But you're right they don't have much lol.. I think I'll take your suggestion and hit Michael's this weekend. Where in Salisbury is it? I know where the Mall is, and I know where the.... Hospital is lol.

kendi25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendi25 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:38am
post #14 of 24

This is what you need to do, choose your fondant, add a teaspoon of gumtex to it, roll it up in a ziploc bag. That way it will not spill all over (the gumtex). When you are finished, take a piece of that fondant and dye it with yellow food coloring. Keep it covered when you are not using it or else it will dry up.
Roll the fondant out - not too thin, and use a daisy cutter to cut it. You need flower formers. They are like PVC pipes cut in half - wilton makes them and very inexpensive. One you cut the daisy shape, that yellow fondant- take a small piece and roll it to a ball. Take your damp - not wet paint brush and brush the centerof the white daiy shape. the yellow ball, attach to it - it will glue. Press it just a bit, and take your tip 1 and do little circles in the yellow. To give it that look - real. The put it on the flower former to dry a few days. If you have pearl dust - it is nice to lightly pass it on the yellow after they are dried. it gives that elegant touch.
Hope this help.
Congratulations.

HerBoudoir Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:40am
post #15 of 24

Michael's is north of the mall right on Route 13, sandwiched in between Best Buy's and Home Depot. Shouldn't be a problem to find them.

I know for sure that they have the daisy cutters, as well as fondant and gumpaste on hand, since I was just looking at them the other day. Since they teach the classes there, they probably also have the Fondant/Gumpaste class kit.

If you feel like trekking to the other shore, there's a store in Laurel called Cakes Plus, and they have a fairly large selection of premade royal icing flowers. You may have to pre-order them as I suspect they may not have that many on hand.

OhMyGoodies Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:44am
post #16 of 24

Thanks Kendi! I have the flower formers already, when I started decorating I bought student kits 1-3 just haven't gone to the classes yet lol.

Thanks for the directions Sue! But stupid question... Ok I'm coming from Easton so when I head to the mall I take 50 to the new Express Way and hit the exit for that road with the funny name can't think of it off hand sorry, and then take that back road all the way to Rt 13. At that light I normally go right to head to the mall... which way would north be from that light :s... totally not good with directions lmfao.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:49am
post #17 of 24

Theresa I have those cutters and love them!! Gotta love anything that veins while being cut icon_smile.gif

I to wish you all the best of luck Becky!!!!!

HerBoudoir Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:52am
post #18 of 24

Naylor Mill Road.

To go to Michael's, turn left at the light, and it'll be on the right shortly thereafter.

OhMyGoodies Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:54am
post #19 of 24

Yes Sue that's it! You rock! Thanks so much!!!!! God I love that Shore Hospitality!!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:17am
post #20 of 24

just wanna drop by and wish you luck. that is one adorable cake. best wishes!

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:47am
post #21 of 24

I just found that cake in the gallery. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_66521.html
by missyek

maybe pm her to find out what cutters she used.

Judi

playingwithsugar Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:22am
post #22 of 24

Oh, damn, you still have a Ben Franklin store? I love that place! We had one until about 10 years ago, and I practically lived in it!

I'm so jealous!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

OhMyGoodies Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:01pm
post #23 of 24

Theresa hun don't be too jealous lol. We don't have very much in there as far as cake decorating... More then Walmart but no where near what I'd like lol. The Wilton supplier lady is kind enough to order stuff for me but only if it's a new item and she thinks it'll sell big... Most of my tools and toys I have were bought either off ebay or Wilton.com or CC icon_wink.gif.

playingwithsugar Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:09pm
post #24 of 24

Oh, I'm not just thinking of the cake decorating, girlfriend.

I am thinking that those are the last of the original 5&10 cent, general stores, where you could walk in and buy everything from nail polish to craft supplies, to speckled enamel cookware.

Yes, there are other stores on the horizon, but none seem to compare to the originals - Ben Franklin, Woolworth's, McCrory's, McLellan's, etc. Although they were part of a chain, most were locally owned franchises, where you still got service from your neighbor, not a corporate office in a far-off state.

Enough for the walk down memory lane, but thanks, it was a nice trip.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%