Help With Twins First Birthday Cake???? How On Earth???

Business By lmn4881 Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 7:05pm by dinas27

lmn4881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmn4881 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 18

I have a client who wants an 11x15 cake with the larger picture on it and 2 smaller smash cakes with the other photos on it. I do not have access to an edible image printer. I was wondering if any of you EXPERTS think that this may be possible to do with a royal icing transfer and if so how detailed will it look?

Also, she is looking for a quote and I haven't done anything this extravagant before. Any pricing ideas? Thanks in advance!

17 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 18

do you have any local grocery stores that print edible images? I know that a grocery store in my town will print a page for $10 and with whatever you can fit on it...also, I think there is a website that prints and sends stuff to you...edible images I mean!

here is the link!
http://www.icingimages.com/icing.php?link=4

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 18

A lot of the supermarkets who do transfers, like Walmart, Sams, Costco, will do one for you if you take them the picture, and then slide it into an envelope for you. You just have to pay them to do them.

lmn4881 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 18

hahaha I forgot to add the pictures..... here they are..... sorry about that!
LL
LL
LL

lmn4881 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 18

Walmart here doesn't have a bakery, Costco said no and we don't have a Sam's. Is there a place anyone knows in Canada that I could order it from?

So I guess it's not going to work as an icing transfer?

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:19pm
post #6 of 18

Try icingimages.com, if your local grocery store bakery won't print them for you. You pick the size and shape of your icing sheet and upload your picture and they send it to you. Very convenient. thumbs_up.gif

lmn4881 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:25pm
post #7 of 18

I'd like something in canada though so I don't have to pay international shipping rates.

Amia Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:35pm
post #8 of 18

There are some eBay stores that will ship worldwide and charge less than $10/sheet. Just search for "custom edible image" and see what pops up. icon_smile.gif

lmn4881 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:01am
post #9 of 18

I tried that and wasn't able to find anything. Any other help?

lmn4881 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:01am
post #10 of 18

I tried that and wasn't able to find anything. Any other help?

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:34am
post #11 of 18

If those graphics are the pictures they want, I totally think you can do them in a frozen buttercream transfer (or royal icing, if you're more comfortable with that)...I was thinking you meant an actual picture of the twins

Amia Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:36am
post #12 of 18

I'm sorry, I can't think of anything else. I searched for some online places, but they were all U.S. orders only! icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif I swear, Canada isn't another planet, why can't they ship there too?

Maybe try practicing an icing or chocolate transfer and see what happens. icon_smile.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 11:48am
post #13 of 18

I would think an icing transfer would work. Do you have time to do a test run? I'm fortunate in that I have a cake projector (and it was free!)...that's what I use all the time! If you do many cakes, you might want to check on buying a used machine. I couldn't live without mine!

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:34pm
post #14 of 18

i'm from ontario canada and if she want the whole image (background and everything)i'd check out A&P or Loblow (used to have an "s" but changed companies and dropped it-wierd i know) for me the easies way that i use would be a chocolate plaque (i guess it's like an icing transfer-but using melted chocolate instead) just explain that short of charging a fortune to have the EXACT pic you could modify it a bit in order make everyone happy (and pulling out your hair about edible images) maybe if you're getting a lot of requests for these types of cakes you could look into getting your own machine especially since it seems that it's not readily available for you hope that helps!

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:48pm
post #15 of 18

where are you in Alberta? I'm in Edmonton!

If you are in a smaller centre I would try a co-op. I know in sask they do edible images. IGA, safeway, save-on-foods may be better options too
Otherwise ask your question on www.cakescanada.com and maybe one of the members will be able to help you out.
OR you could repost your question here with a subject line like 'Where to get edible image in western Canada'.
You could also try googling Evelyns cake decorating - she has a big shop in winnipeg and may do edible images now

If all that fails I think a FBCT would definately work!

dinas27 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:01pm
post #16 of 18

Ok so I looked at your pictures! What you talking about never done anything extravagant? Your cakes are lovely and I even saw a wedding cake in there. You could use the same technique you used with the my little pony cake and it would be beautiful.

My only suggestion would be only to do the face of each baby on each smash cake and the name - a 4" round would be plenty of cake and thats simply not enough area to put the whole picture on.

lmn4881 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 6:21pm
post #17 of 18

what about pricing? If I do use a transfer ( icing or choc) what would I charge for the three cakes?

dinas27 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:05pm
post #18 of 18

With regard to pricing... you need to figure out what your costs would be and how much time you're going to spend making the cake.

I dont sell my cakes but I have had a coworker enquire about a wedding cake so I sat down to figure out my costs. I bake from scratch so my ingredients are expensive. I have set a price of $2.50 per serving for buttercream. Now I know that this is not very high, and doesnt give me much profit but I would like to do more cakes to build up my porfolio so that when I move back to SK I can set up a licensed kitchen (if I improve lots! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ) I am comfortable with that price and since that price is just for friends and family (as I will not advertise) its a built in discount.

You said 11x15, is that 2" high or 4"? Based on 4" high the cake would serve 84 so with my pricing $210. My pricing includes most decorating (not a million sugar flowers!) But I have never done a FBCT or a CT so I do not know the time and cost associated with that. I would do the smash cakes for free.

If its a single layer cake then it should serve 42. So $105.

I have decided that if people do not like my pricing I will not be lowering them. I use only the best ingredients in my cakes, filling and frosting I usually estimate my cost at $1 per serving for ingredients, cake boards, special equipment. The meager amount I would make for my time for anything else than $2.50 a serving is not enough to warrant my time away from my husband. I charge an extra $.25 a slice for MMF, marizpan or ganache and $.25 extra for gourmet cake flavors (basically anything with nuts)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%