Melamine Bowls For Mixing Coloured Buttercream

Decorating By punkinpie Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 3:19pm by punkinpie

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 4

Hi Everyone,

I bought a set of melamine bowls at Costco yesterday. They have plastic lids
and I thought they would be great for mixing buttercream and storing it.

The inside of the bowls are white. Do you think that Wilton gel colour will stain them?

I'm considering taking them back and just getting more stainless steel bowls as I don't want a bunch of stained bowls.

A CC expert opinion would greatly help icon_smile.gif

TIA

Alexis

3 replies
Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 4

Maybe they'll get stained with strong colors like red or black

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 4

I usually prefer white bowls because I can judge the color most accurately -- I have melamine bowls, but I tend to avoid them for the darker colors, just in case. White ceramic has been my stand-by for all icing coloring.

Here's info. from doityourself.com:

"Melamine is a thermosetting plastic. It is strong, lightweight and hard, but can be scratched or broken or cracked. It resists acids and alkalis, and most food stains but can be stained. It also stands fairly warm temperatures, but absorbs heat and softens if it gets too hot so cannot be used in microwave ovens. It's used for dinnerware, mixing bowls, laminated counter tops, and other items.

Avoid exposure to hot objects, and prolonged exposure to boiling water. Stains may be removed with commercial cleaners made for melamine. Never use scouring powder or any other abrasive.

Plastic (Melamine) Dinnerware Much plastic dinnerware is made of Melamine plastic. This is hard and smooth and keeps its shape well. It could be broken by hard blows. Do NOT use in microwave oven as it absorbs heat and can get hot enough to soften, blister, and crack.

Wash by hand or in dishwasher. Do NOT use scouring powder as it will scratch surface. Remove stains with commercial cleaner made for cleaning Melamine." icon_smile.gif

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll keep them icon_smile.gif I love the bright colours on the outside of them. I can always use my stainless ones for the deep coloured icings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%