Question About Setting Up A Stacked Wedding Cake

Decorating By jenifergilliland Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 1:47am by jenifergilliland

jenifergilliland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenifergilliland Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:20am
post #1 of 6

My DEAR, SWEET mother has volunteered me for a wedding cake for a very close friend of the family. She is paying for the ingredients to make the cake. BUT I have to decorate and set it up at the venue. The venue is going to be 2 hours away. The bride's mom is taking the cake with them 2 days before the wedding. I will not have any room in my car to take it with me because we are heading up to Myrtle Beach after the wedding. My question is can I go ahead and stack them before her mom takes the cake with them or would wait until I get there a couple of hours before the wedding? I still have to put ribbon on it when I get to Charleston. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Jenifer

5 replies
DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:26am
post #2 of 6

I'd personally wait to set it up there, especially if you're going to have plenty of time to do so. I'd be afraid of too much settling if you do it two days before the wedding. I hate bulges! icon_razz.gif

my two cents!

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:28am
post #3 of 6

How many tiers will the cake be? If it's 2-3 and you make sure you have doweled them good it should be fine. Just make sure that you put a non slip mat under the cake so it doesn't slide around.

But me personally if I was going to be at the venue I would feel safer if they were carried seperately by someone else verses being tiered with someone else driving. I'm sort of a control freak when it comes to my cakes and traveling. icon_twisted.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:40am
post #4 of 6

I'd think about "storage". I don't know what your ingredients are, BUT, if they have to refrigerate the cake, depending on where the venue is, a refrigerator that is big enough may be a problem.

I'd set it up when I got there. It would be less stress on the MOB to transport. I don't even transport my OWN cakes as a unit, too nerve racking!

Beth

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshcakedesigns

But me personally if I was going to be at the venue I would feel safer if they were carried seperately by someone else verses being tiered with someone else driving. I'm sort of a control freak when it comes to my cakes and traveling. icon_twisted.gif

This is what I was thinking. I'd just get there a little earlier than planned and set it up then. I get nervous driving with a stacked cake, so I would be extra nervous about someone else driving with it.

jenifergilliland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenifergilliland Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:47am
post #6 of 6

I think I will wait then until we get there. Thanks for everyones input!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%