Fondant? Really?

Decorating By Christi5378 Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 11:08pm by audrey0522

Christi5378 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christi5378 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 22

Okay, so from the looks of this website & forum postings, I'm REALLY inexperienced. I have 2 small children & have decided to start trying to make my own birthday cakes. There just doesn't seem to be anyone around here that makes a cake that has both flavor & asthetics. Anyway, what's the deal with fondant? I can make cool looking stuff with it (although coloring it was a pain,) but it tastes awful! Is there something I'm missing or don't know? I just used the bought Wilton fondant & colored myself.

21 replies
flutterbyu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flutterbyu Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 22

The problem is Wilton's fondant.

These are the only recipes I use anymore. I like to make my own, instead of buying it. I've used Satin Ice before too, though I really like having control and making it myself. icon_smile.gif

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3183-Rhondas-Ultimate-MMF.html

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 22

absolutely make your own!!! I've started adding flavorings to it too. although all the kids I know love the MMF taste on its own.

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 22

I agree with the other two members. I'd like to add that Wilton is good to make figures and things that ppl probably won't eat. That way all your work of making the fondant won't go to waste.

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 22

Yeah, run away from the Wilton junk! Making it yourself or buying a better brand is the way to go. I've used Satin Ice & FondX, and been very happy with both.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 22

Try the marshmallow fondant recipe here on CC. Like lanibird said...runaway.....as fast as you can from Wilton fondant!!! lol

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 6:46pm
post #7 of 22

I also make my own fondant out of marshmallows and sugar called mmf, (its in the recipe section). I only use the Wilton kind for figures, never to cover a cake.

katgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katgal Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 6:46pm
post #8 of 22

Plus...it's waaaay cheaper to make your own.

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 6:50pm
post #9 of 22

We probably all start with Wilton fondant, but it's gross. I make Marshmallow Fondant too and everyone loves it. Some people like the taste and still dont want it because its a different texture they cant get used to, but I've made many people fondant belivers.

I've invested in a Kitchen Aid Mixer but when I started I made my fondant by hand. I also bought a Sunbeam that only lasted a couple months and was not good for fondant at all.

If you want a whole batch of fondant one color, you can easily color it when making the MMF by adding the color to the melted marshmallows before mixing in the powdered sugar.

PM me for more questions or help.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 7:04pm
post #10 of 22

I will second Michele Foster's fondant. It's tons better than MMF.

psanders76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psanders76 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 7:09pm
post #11 of 22

I'm also a newbie and I make my own MMF just look it up in the recipe section, its a breeze and its way cheaper. I find it easier to add my colors and cover my cakes since it stretches better than the Wilton brand.

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 7:12pm
post #12 of 22

I'm going to have to try Michelle Foster's fondant. I made MMF for the first time this week and found I had to add a ton of Crisco and glycerine in order to make it easy to work with. The first steps weren't hard but once it has come to room temp the next day, it was a beast. The taste is much better than Wilton though if a bit sweet.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 7:58pm
post #13 of 22

That's what's nice about Michele's recipe.. it's not cloyingly sweet like MMF. It tastes a lot like Fondex fondant actually.. sweet, but not too sweet and neutral and blends well with every flavor.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 8:06pm
post #14 of 22

mmf is great for taste purpose, BUT if you live in a humid hot area, it will sag and sweat on you, as me I know and I am sure others can atest to such. I use Satin Ice brand or Chocopan.... more of a white chocolate flavor... still chewey though. I find that is what gets most people, the chew factor over the taste... good luck!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 8:52pm
post #15 of 22

Everyone loves the MMF I make. I follow the basic recipe but add 1 t of salt and use a dram of LoRann butter flavor - it's SO good! Oh, I also add 1T of glycerine to help with pliability and I never have trouble with it. I just made a batch using LoRann strawberry for a strawbery cake and it's great, as well.

It will get hard once it's cooled completely, but a few seconds in the micro softens it up and makes it easy to knead and roll.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 11:25pm
post #16 of 22

I'll throw in my vote for Michele Fosters! Its the best!

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:45pm
post #17 of 22

They should force-feed Wilton fondant to the terrorists! That'll end the war FAST!

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:16pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJsGirl

They should force-feed Wilton fondant to the terrorists! That'll end the war FAST!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Thats what I call cruel, and unusual punishment!

thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:52pm
post #19 of 22

I decrease the PS to 1 1/2 lbs and add 4 tbsp corn syrup, it never gets too hard to work with, and it matches the pliability of the wiltons fondant.

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 10:15pm
post #20 of 22

Do you decrease the PS and increase the corn syrup in the MMF (basically marshmellows & powdered sugar recipe) or in another recipe?

thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:02am
post #21 of 22

I use the basic recipe, I think its called Rhonda's MMF. So it ends up being this:

1 lb mini marshmallows
1.5 lb Powdered Sugar
2 tbsp Water
4 tbsp Light Corn Syrup

I add the corn syrup to the melted marshmallows, then mix in the KA. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 11:08pm
post #22 of 22

Thank you, it helps a lot! I will be using it this weekend.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%