Poll: Scratch Or Box?

Decorating By KaraCakes Updated 23 Apr 2008 , 2:52am by Kim_in_CajunCountry

KaraCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KaraCakes Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:48am
post #1 of 8

Alright, I wanna know who makes their cakes from a box mix and who makes 'em from scratch.

7 replies
butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:57am
post #2 of 8

I use a box, but add pudding, an extra egg & sour cream to it to make it denser & still maintain moistness. I took the "firm chocolate cake" recipe and use compatible box mix & pudding mix to make the flavors I want (ie. french vanilla box cake and french vanilla pudding mix). So far it has worked really well for me and everyone raves about the taste.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:07am
post #3 of 8

I use mixes (Betty Crocker) with enhancements from The Cake Mix Doctor book, or the WASC recipe and its many variations. I've never made a cake from scratch that I liked, and people always rave about the flavor, texture, etc. of my cakes.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:08am
post #4 of 8

I use mostly box cakes DH.....sometimes adding to them. They have always worked well for me. I haven't had any complaints but I would like to get more into the scratch cakes. They seem to have a different texture. There are a few cakes I do from scratch.

I am going to take a culinary class this summer to learn more about scratch cakes.

Looking forward to that.....

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:08am
post #5 of 8

I normally make from scratch if I'm short on time I use box mix...although with the price of flour and sugar going up I might just use box mixes. I made a 12" cake for under $10 and will sell it for $85. Can't make it from scratch for that cheap icon_sad.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:18am
post #6 of 8
biancas_mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biancas_mommy Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:21am
post #7 of 8

i never had much luck with scratch so was a box mix girl til i found cake central and the idea of doctoring mixes...now i'll never go back, to scratch or to straight mixes. i like to try any doctored cake mix recipes i find but in general even without a recipe handy i'll just use a cake mix and add, like butterflywings said, an egg, sour cream, and a box of pudding. delicious, moist, and firm enough for tiers and fondant.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:52am
post #8 of 8

I use the Duncan Hines pound cake recipe on the side of the box, which includes adding a box of instant pudding. I do this for yellow cakes and devil's food cakes. People LOVE them!

However, when I make a carrot cake, I use my grandmother's scratch recipe. I know it costs more, but it's just SO good!

I did buy the Cupcakes by the Cake Doctor book and I'm looking forward to experimenting with some of her recipes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%