Help Please With Sheet Cake.

Decorating By cookiecakemonster Updated 22 Apr 2008 , 10:24pm by terrylee

cookiecakemonster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiecakemonster Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 8

I have to do a sheet cake this weekend.
They want it filled.
My cake tin is 2 inches deep so do i make 2 sheets or can i use the leveler to cut the one layer.
i'm scared the cake with break.

another question.

If i cut the cake up in halves will the notice after i have iced it all up?

7 replies
akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 8

Try chilling the cake very well, or partially freezing it before torting.

cookiecakemonster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiecakemonster Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 8

thank you!!!
if i cut it in halves do you think they will notice?

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 8

I don't think so. If you have an extra cake board you could torte your cake, put the board on top of the cake and flip the top part over. Your cake shouldn't break. But I think cutting would be ok too. Good luck!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 8

large metal cookie sheet dusted w/ powdered sugar is perfect for lifting off top layer after cutting.

then easy to slid right back on --- haven't broken one yet.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 8

Whether you torte the cake or use 2 sheets is up to you...it depends on how high you want the cake. I find that when I torte and fill, the cake just doesn't seem high enough. On the other hand, when I make 2 sheets, not only is it more work making the other cake, but sometimes they seem too high! But it is easier with 2 cakes to just stack the cakes together, and overall, I like the height.
The choice is yours...

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:01pm
post #7 of 8

Tany

How many people will you be serving I make them all the time if you look in my pics you'll see I can serve 70 people with a 2 layer sheet cake I make them a day ahead (before decorating) sometimes I will make a one layer but I usually will double my recipe for a sheet cake in order for it to be thick enough to tort then I put the extra layer (after leveling) on a cake board and just flip it back onto the cake after I fill it I like to double layer because I find it easier to decorate the sides

Molly2

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:24pm
post #8 of 8

I do a 2" sheet cake. When I bake it I line the pan with non stick spray and waxed paper.

If it's a 9x13 I can split the layer and the waxed paper holds the top slice together for handleing. If it's a full sheet cake I usually split in half and then split the top slice for better handling.

I have always lined all my pans with waxed paper and haven't found it to change the texture or anything while baking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%