Help! Palm Trees Not From Pretzel Rods?

Decorating By Lauree Updated 22 Apr 2008 , 7:05pm by Lauree

Lauree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lauree Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 9

I have a cake due Saturday and I wanted to put palm trees on it BUT every single store in my area has stopped selling pretzel rods. What else can be used that is really easy? TIA!

8 replies
cdent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdent Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 9

I did a cake with palm tree bases made with colored Gumpaste. After the gumpaste bases dried a bit, I stabbed dowels inside to provide better leverage when I inserted them into the cake. Good luck!!

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 9

There is a candy called Nestle Crunch Stix which comes in milk and dark chocolate. Each pack has 6 individually wrapped stix. I have used the milk chocolate stix in the past for trunks.

2kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2kiddos Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 9

I've used the Pirouline cookies.. They are rolled wafer cookies. You can find them at most grocery stores, even Walgreen's or other drug stores that carry some food items.

2kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2kiddos Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 9

I've used the Pirouline cookies.. They are rolled wafer cookies. You can find them at most grocery stores, even Walgreen's or other drug stores that carry some food items.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 6:37pm
post #6 of 9

YOu can cover a plastic cake support with gumpaste and get the same effect.

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 6:37pm
post #7 of 9

I don't know if you have a Staples office supply store where you live, but I've bought pretzel rods in the food isle where the coffee cups and snacks are. Not all Staples carry them, so I would call first. Hope that helps.

jen2184 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen2184 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 6:46pm
post #8 of 9

i have also found the pretzel rods in office depo in the food section you can also use the wafer stick cover them in fondant and paint them if you have to

Lauree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lauree Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 7:05pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you everyone! That gives me several ideas to work from! No Staples, but I will have to check Office Depot also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%