Any Recommendations...wasnt Happy With My Newest Cake

Baking By Mommaskip Updated 6 May 2008 , 1:30pm by darjeelingjane

Mommaskip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommaskip Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 5

I have read so many great things about the mermaid bakeries vanilla butter cake recipe. so i decided to try it and i was not at all happy with the taste. i followed the recipe exactly. any recommendations. the cake turned out very very dense and a bit dry. i made sure not to over cook it. dont get me wrong the inside of my cake looks beautiful but i dont like the taste of it. any recommendation or good scratch recipes would be helpful.
LL

4 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 5

First you have to decide if it is the taste or the texture of the cake that you dislike. Then work from there, scratch cakes tend to be heavier then a box mix. And if you have grown up on a mix you may just not care for a scratch cake. Taste is so subjective that you just have to keep trying until you find one that you like.

BTW: The cake looks beautiful.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 1:30am
post #3 of 5

I tried the recipe last summer and although it had a nice flavor, I thought, it was pretty dry. It was my first scratch cake, but most of the scratch cakes I've tried since then have had a very different texture than the cakes I'm used to, most drier. The mermaid cake had a very tight crumb. I've sort of given up on scratch yellow cake. I've wasted a lot of ingredients trying to get a really good one. I now use a WASC variation for my yellow cake and people go nuts over it-so as much as I'd love to be a scratch baker, I don't think the people buying my cakes would like it.

Mommaskip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommaskip Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 5

alanahodgson- thanks so much. i thought it might have just been me. i love baking from scratch so if i do find a fabulous yellow cake i will let you know. thanks again

darjeelingjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darjeelingjane Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:30pm
post #5 of 5

i sometimes think that scratch cakes made with oil tend to have more of the moist cake-mix taste. try one of those and see what you think. although, i don't see yellow cakes made with oil very often, you never know! i think everything is out there somewhere! good luck! and don't be afraid to "cheat" with a cake mix every now and then!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%