*sniffle*sniffle* I Feel Horrible! Sorry Long.

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 9 Dec 2008 , 2:09am by springlakecake

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 1:52pm
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

I understand what you are saying. However, this was a gift, not a business transaction. This was for family, not for a customer. But I do understand your point. Which is why I was wondering about my liability/responsibility for allergies when I do have a business in the future. Agreed, I probably would have handled it differently if it was business. I probably would have been on here BEFORE saying anything about it asking what to do! LOL! Deep down I really didnt think it was my fault, but having an audience watch an allergic reaction presumably to my cake made me feel like cr*p. Point taken though, before I turn into a blubbering fool, I should curb my emotions.

I totally understand what you're saying that it was a gift, or for those that only bake for family and friends.

But!

A big but, you should still have some type of insurance because you never know.

What if it had been something in the cake? and because you sent off that email/letter of phone call saying it was your fault?

Slam dunk court case, you would lose your assets.

house, car, whatever.

Even if you're not selling a pin, you should still have some sort of insurance for peace of mind.

Children under the age of one years old are very sensitive to things, that's why the Pediatricians put them on a feeding schedule, introducing one type of food at a time. Even as old at up to the age of 3 you have to be careful.

But in a situation like this, it's acually the caretakers/parents fault. They should be aware of things like this, and sometimes, things like this, just happen.

Thank goodness that it was just a little hive action and not anything really serious!

How bad you felt, shows that you're a very caring and loving person, but you also must arm yourself with some defenses in case people do come after you.

Hugs!!!

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 4:38am
post #32 of 38

Do not give it another thought. You said that they served nuts and berries.
Two of the most common food allergies. My daughter breaks out in hives if she is around anything strawberry. She does not even have to touch it.
Hey, chin up and smile! icon_smile.gif

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 4:39am
post #33 of 38

P.S. I am a little jealous. Duff is my hero.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 4:57am
post #34 of 38

You don't need insurance for family...That's pretty dumb! You need insurance for paying customers.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:48am
post #35 of 38

Well after a few days I do feel a lot better about this whole thing!

I do think it will be important to carry insurance when i have a business someday (hopefully!). And a good lesson for me is to not get emotional about any problems. Thanks to cc, I should get some good advice before I do anything wrong! LOL

Bonnie151 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnie151 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 7:41am
post #36 of 38

It could just be a one off as well. My daughter broke out in hives in exactly the same manner when she was 2. She had been eating tomatoes (and nothing else so it was definitely the tomatoes). She'd had tons of tomatoes before and tons since and that has been the only time she has ever reacted. We don't know what caused the one time reaction.

I think as a precaution it's a good idea to mention what ingredients are in the cake, especially when a young child is involved, but unless the parents specified "no eggs", I'd assume they'd realise eggs were in the cake, and they probably weren't expecting any kind of reaction either (though as mentioned, the reaction could have been to a number of things).

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:50pm
post #37 of 38

Merissa,
Just a quick note to say the cake was absolutely beautiful! I'm sure it was very appreciated by the mom. Amazing cake job!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 2:09am
post #38 of 38

I know my original post was long ago....but I just wanted to give a quick update. I finally got the nerve to ask the mom at Thanksgiving if they figured out what the allergy was. They said she hasnt had any reactions since to anything, so they don't think it was the cake. I am kind of feeling like this was a soap or dye in a napkin or something they used to wipe her off with. Anyway, I wish they could have told me a long time ago so I wouldnt continue to feel responsible for it. oh well, I feel better now anyway!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%