How Do I Price A Grooms Cake?

Business By CountryCakes2007 Updated 19 Apr 2008 , 11:18pm by CountryCakes2007

CountryCakes2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakes2007 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 6

I'm new at this and not very good at pricing. I think a wedding cake in my area with buttercream icing is about $1.10 a serving, but I'm not sure how to price the groom's cake. icon_cry.gificon_redface.gif Can someone give me some advice? Thanks

5 replies
aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 6

It depends on the grooms cake. I do a lot of sculpted grooms cakes with fondant, and they price out higher than a wedding cake. I start at $5.50 per serving for 3d cakes.

If it's more of a regular, 1 tier or stacked cake, it falls into my cake pricing.

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 6

I'd charge the same amount. Cake is cake, whether its a wedding cake or the grooms cake. It takes the same ingredients, baking time and decorating time. The only time I would charge more for the wedding cake is if the decorations themselves where more time consuming, but base prices are the same no matter what the cake is for.

tasteebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteebakes Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 6

If they book their wedding cake with me, then I give them a huge break on their Groom's cake. I price it out at 75 cents per serving. (I'm in AR) My buttercream wedding cakes start at $1.50 per serving and fondant a $2.50 per serving. So far, my groom's cakes have been "easier" than my wedding cakes. I have alot coming up though, some are fairly complicated.

Where are you in OK? Are you going to OSSAS? I just registered today!

CountryCakes2007 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 11:16pm
post #5 of 6

I live out in the country between Ardmore and Duncan. No I'm not going to OSSAS. I bet it would be fun to go, never been yet!

CountryCakes2007 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 6

Oh thank ya'll very much for the info! To me price is very hard. About the only compation I have is Walmart and Homeland.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%