How Do I Make Fondant Look Like Wood?

Decorating By Misdawn Updated 20 Apr 2008 , 11:29am by abbystepmum

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 13

My mother's 50th birthdya is the last day in May and I am throwing her a surprose partyy. My sister and I want to give her two cakes...the first will be a dummy made to resemble a pine box (like a cheap coffin in the old days) and the second will be her real cake. We want to do the first cake as a dummy because we are going to put 50 candles on it and give her a fire extinguisher to put them out!

So, how do I go about making a rectangular cake look like a pine box? I'm open to all suggestions... 'cause I ain't gotta clue! icon_biggrin.gif

TIA,
Misty

12 replies
Misdawn Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 13

Anybody?

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 13

Hi misdawn. Well, Once I did a wooden floor. I'll tell you how I did it. First I role out some teddy bear brown fandant and cut out some thin strips. Before you cut it you can use the impression mat that has wood effect to get the real wood effect, and then cut it into thin strips. Then I glued one by one onto the board that I'm using. Then I use a blunt side of a knife to make sections. Then I use a pin to get the nail effect. Once everything is glued, I left it to dry. Once its dried, I used chocolate colour liquid coloring to brush it over.

Hope you understand what I said. But you can go to my photos and look up on the "Handyman" photo. It will make more sence.

HTH

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 13

Hi,
I've done tons of searching for cutters and stuff latly and I know I've seen wood impression tools and rolling pins, there's some mats here:

http://globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=woodgrain&searchimage.x=36&searchimage.y=2

and ebay is a great place to find cheap baking accersories also! icon_razz.gif

Shola
XXX

Misdawn Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 13

Is there a way to paint the fondant so that it looks like wood?

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 13

I made a crate for a wine bottle cake, and I scored a wood design with a toothpick. I started with a cream colored fondant, then painted wood grain with gel colors thinned with vodka. It was really easy and I think turned out well. The picture is in my photos.

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 13

when I did mine i covered the cake board with the fondant and then mixed some brown gel with some alcohol and used a paint brush, and used a knife to score some lines..hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 13

I did a wood looking barrel of stuff inmy photo's... I made light tan fondant and rolled it and cut strips, then I placed each on individually.

I don't know if you have ever painted before, but there is a technique called dry brushing, I think. anyway, you get a hard bristled brush and dip into into your paint and brush the surface. I used this technique with a brown gel color (not watered down). then I used a paper towel and gave a quick brush over it to lighten up some areas and give the wood effect. I used the brush to paint on some knots, and then flipped it over and dipped the stick end into the color and poked it to make the nail marks.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1118713

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 5:00pm
post #9 of 13

I make impressions in the fondant. Make some wood planks, then kinda take a knife and hit it on the fondant. Paint the box with watered down gel, let it set and then wipe it going in the direction of wood planks. It will have the appearance of wood. Then reapply with a thinned down brown gel.

Misdawn Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 6:08pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks everybody! I have a couple of weeks to practice so I think I'm gonna go hit the kitchen and try some your ideas! Thanks Again!!!

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 10:24am
post #11 of 13

Depending on what sort of wood effect you are after, one way to make it look 'woody' is to roll a crumpled up bit of foil over the fondant.

This gives a kind of wood bark effect, once its dried, mix some brown dusting powder with a little alcohol (gin or vodka) and using strong strokes brush over the fondant, then over brush with a different shade of brown ot get the required colour.

If you want a plank effect, then like the others have said, you can mark and score it with a knife.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 10:55am
post #12 of 13

cakedout7 made a beautiful fairytale cottage using that technique for the windows...you may wanna ping her and ask.

Her picture: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1210773

abbystepmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbystepmum Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 11:29am
post #13 of 13

I used a pizza cutter to lightly score it, painted with watered down gel and wiped away excess. It took a couple of tries to get the "look" I wanted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%