Fondant Revival Needed Here - Whats Your Fave/best Fondant?

Decorating By wrightway777 Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 7:11pm by SMcDonald

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 4:41am
post #31 of 79

Bellatheball - your dough hook just broke? I know the marshmallows are jet puffed but I didnt think they had that much force! icon_wink.gif

Everybody - Thanks so much for all the responses!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:51am
post #32 of 79

I am going to make Rhonda's ultimate MMF for the 1st. time tomorrow because my Satin ice is going to arrive too late for a cake I need to do this Saturday icon_cry.gif but the recipe doesn't say what size cake can you cover with one batch, does anyone knows? I need to be prepared I don't want any surprises because I need to let it rest overnight and my nightmare would be to go back to wilton!!! thumbsdown.gif
Thanks for your help.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 11:33am
post #33 of 79

I want to try Michele Fosters.. but I am having trouble finding Glycerin icon_cry.gif where can I find it?

And is this easy to make?? The steps seem so different then MMF...

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:42pm
post #34 of 79

Rhonda's MMF makes about 5 lbs of fondant. I can usually cover 2 8" cakes plus decorations and still have a little left. I don't know how big your cake is, but I hope that helps.

Amber

jen9936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen9936 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:50pm
post #35 of 79

Sorry, double post!!

jen9936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen9936 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:52pm
post #36 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

I want to try Michele Fosters.. but I am having trouble finding Glycerin icon_cry.gif where can I find it?

And is this easy to make?? The steps seem so different then MMF...

Christi,
I looked at my cake supply store and it was quite expensive. However, someone here told me that you could find it at the pharmacy cheaper. Well, I went into my local "drug store" and Voila! A 6 ounce bottle (enough for A LOT of fondant) for 3 or 4 dollars!
Just make sure you ask the clerk for LIQUID glycerin, at first they tried to give me the glycerin suppositories they make for babies who can't go poo-poo!!! icon_lol.gif

I actually found this easier to make than the mmf--no marshmallows melting all over my kitchen--and I like the taste better as well.

Hope this helps!

Jennifer

jl5949 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jl5949 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:04pm
post #37 of 79

I use to make MMF but found it to be inconsistent in texture and when I added dark colors (black and red) it would tear... I am now a lover of Satin Ice. Tastes great. Easy to work with and has a consistent, smooth texture. As with other cc'rs, I just charge more for fondant to offset the price. No more MMF for me!

wgoat5 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:17pm
post #38 of 79

Thanks Jen!!! icon_smile.gif

I will try this.. but think I will still buy red and black (I hate making those colors in fondant AND in bc!)

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:44pm
post #39 of 79

If you have a health food store near you, then you can usually find glycerin and gelatin in larger containers for a much better price. The glycerin in the area where people get the products to make their own lotion. An 8 oz. bottle is about $8.

The gelatin is usually located in the fingernail strengthening section. It also comes in an 8 oz. container, again for about $8.

Thank you to everyone who complimented my recipe. It's very nice to read.

Michele Foster

abw2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abw2005 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:48pm
post #40 of 79

I've used Wilton and Satin Ice. I'd take the SI fondant any day over wilton, but it's a bit pricier, so the wilton is good to practice with if need be icon_smile.gif SI tastes much better too!

Melony Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melony Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 1:25am
post #41 of 79

Bellatheball, I broke the dough hook on my KA too when I made MMF. Bummer!!...I was actually able to convince my husband to buy me a new KA because of that little incident. LOL!

I tried Choc-Pan for the first time while I was at the Mid-Atlantic Cake show last week and it tasted REALLY good. I didn't buy any yet since I'm still trying to master the whole fondant thing.

wgoat5 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:05am
post #42 of 79

ohh I just got the chocopan caramel and it is TOO DIE FOR!!! YUMMMY icon_smile.gif

pearliesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearliesmom Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:13pm
post #43 of 79

I just made my first batch of Rhonda's Utlimate MMF. Very easy and very very yummy. Used my KA and found it so very easy. Sorry to hear that it broke your hook. I will have to be very careful when making my next batch. Thanks for all the advice. thumbs_up.gif

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 4:24pm
post #44 of 79

Another Satin Ice fan here! I don't like the MMF, too sweet for me, but I give the recipe to my students because it's cheap and great for practice. Someone else mentioned the texture, I too don't think it's quite as smooth. Anyway, SI has a beautiful texture, smooth flavor and I love all the colors, what a time saver! It's middle of the road priced, not cheap, but not expensive and comes in bulk if you have a big project!
Lori

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 4:30pm
post #45 of 79

Ok, so I just made another batch of MMF, and it didn't turn out nearly as well as previous batches. icon_cry.gif I think I might be investing in my first batch of SI, for ease as much as consistency. Wow..never thought I would say that!!!

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:16am
post #46 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by psanders76

I make Marshmallow Fondant. Its not hard at all and it tastes way better than Wilton or Satin Ice. Its very easy to make. I havent been making cakes for too long and maybe the vets have better ideas than me but here is the link that I got my recipe from:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

I hope this helps.

hi!i also use this mmf recipe. i love it because it holds up well to humidity but my problem is it doesn't stretch well enough to cover round cakes ( the problem is usually on the sides of the cakes).i have to make a slit to remove excess fondant otherwise there'll be pleats on them..i have another good recipe (doesn't give me any problem at all on covering)but unfortunately it doesn't hold well during humid days..is there something i can add to mmf recipe to make it more elastic/pliable?..thanks for any help...bobbie

wrightway777 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:25am
post #47 of 79

bobhope - whats the recipe that you refer to that you like? Can you share here or is it in the recipe section?

wrightway777 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:35am
post #48 of 79

Michelle Foster - I am humbled and delighted to see you on this post that I started!
Quick Q: The milk...is at room temp or cold when mixing w/gelatin?

All - Choco pan and SI is on sale on the "you know what" site (cant say it since CC blocks it). I feel like I'm mentioning Voldemort! icon_smile.gif
Does anyone have anything that I can compare (go to or online) of what their "wedding white" and their "bright white" are before I buy it?

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:46am
post #49 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightway777

bobhope - whats the recipe that you refer to that you like? Can you share here or is it in the recipe section?

here it is wrightway:
1tsp gum arabic
4tbsp water
1 tsp glycerin
2tbsp veg oil/*shortening
1/2 c glucose
6-7c powdered sugar
2tsp titanium
2tsp tylose

mix gum arabic in water til throughly dissolved.add glycerin, veg oil & glucose *if using shortening heat until it dissolves.add 1 cup ps, stir well. add titanium & tylose & stir til well blended. put 4 cups ps on work surface.make a well in center. pour liquid mixture into sugar. mix, knead, adding more ps until smooth & elastic. .. icon_smile.gif

wrightway777 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:40pm
post #50 of 79

bobhope- Whoa! Titanium and gum arabic...where in the world do you get those? I've never seen a recipe with Titanium in it.

eidascreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eidascreations Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:59pm
post #51 of 79

In the pass I made the fondant home made but last month i made a birthday cake and i use the SATING ICE FONDANT and is perfect to handle and veriy good taste, I recomend,.
good look!
Eida

coreenag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coreenag Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:59pm
post #52 of 79

I have tried MMF, Rhonda's Ultimate and Toba's recipe which are all good but my favorite for ease and flavour is Michelle Fosters. I haven't even tried to find any other recipes after trying this one!

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:59pm
post #53 of 79

I love Satin Ice and Robert Uster both are wonderful and have a great taste.

eidascreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eidascreations Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:01pm
post #54 of 79

Sorry is SATIN ICE FONDANT VANILLA FLAVOR.

wgoat5 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:27pm
post #55 of 79

Yes.. but there is chocolate icon_biggrin.gif

Pearl70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl70 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:43am
post #56 of 79

This is the only one I have tried. I have had trouble with it not holding its shape when doing figures. I was at Wal Mart yesterday and a lady was telling me that she makes it also and she adds a little GumTex to it and places figures in oven with the light on over night and they dry great. i am trying this tonight as we speak. Although mine is a baby figure that I used a candy mold to form, so it is thick. It did help with the tecture,gave it more of the playdough feel. I will post my results tomorrow night.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

wrightway777 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:57am
post #57 of 79

light on in oven overnight - another neat idea - thanks Pearl70. That info will come in handy since I live down here in GA (humidity in Summer - arg).

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:01am
post #58 of 79

I like Satin Ice. I LOVE chocolate Satin Ice. It tastes like tootsie rolls!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 8:14pm
post #59 of 79

[quote="wrightway777"]Michelle Foster - I am humbled and delighted to see you on this post that I started!
Quick Q: The milk...is at room temp or cold when mixing w/gelatin?/quote]

I just use the milk straight out of the fridge. It will work at room temperature, I'm just too lazy to take the time. icon_smile.gif

Michele

p.s. Please don't feel humbled, I'm just another cake person. But thank you.

Pearl70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl70 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:06pm
post #60 of 79

here is my results from using,mmf with gumtex and leaving it in the oven over night .
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%