Fondant Revival Needed Here - Whats Your Fave/best Fondant?

Decorating By wrightway777 Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 7:11pm by SMcDonald

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:38am
post #1 of 79

I love working with fondant but I cant stand the taste. Yes, I'll admit it, I use Wilton a lot it tastes like (what I imagine) a 2nd grader eating 20 year old school glue paste. I've tried adding the Lorann oils but thats just " wrong." Its like trying to hide the smell of a skunk!
So whats your favorite (whether premade or your own concoction)
- I NEED A FONDANT REVIVAL OVER HERE. Give me the "ups and downs" of the brand you LOVE to use please!
(ups and downs = Taste, consistency, drying time, etc)

PLEASE HELP ME TO STOP SKUNKING MY CAKES icon_lol.gif

78 replies
stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:55am
post #2 of 79

I have never purchased fondant, I have only made it. I use Rhonda's Ultimate MMF. Its easy to make and tastes like heaven. I use the lemon extract that she has in the recipe, but you can sub out any extract you like. It isn't as sweet as regular MMF and you can color a whole batch between the melting step and adding PS so its really easy to get a lot of color with out a lot of kneading. You do have to let it sit over night before use, but after that its really easy to use. You can either mix by hand, or in your KA with the bread attachment. Warning, it can get a little messy with the PS, but it's worth it. Just remember to add small amounts at a time. HTH

Amber

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:55am
post #3 of 79

I am a lover of Choco-pan for taste, Satin Ice for Convience and price. PLEASE get away from that wilton stuff ewwwwwwwww! It smells and tastes like chemicals ewwwwwwww!!! Choco-pan is White chocolate fondant. It is very very tasty. The best tasting fondant I have had yet. The NOIRE which is the chocolate, tastes like tootsie rolls. Satin Ice tastes pretty good too. I love the smooth texture of it, It is great for its pliablility. If that makes sense. MMF isnt bad tasting, really sweet. I dont like its texture though, not smooth enough for me, but the most afordable. Hope that helps.

psanders76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psanders76 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:01am
post #4 of 79

I make Marshmallow Fondant. Its not hard at all and it tastes way better than Wilton or Satin Ice. Its very easy to make. I havent been making cakes for too long and maybe the vets have better ideas than me but here is the link that I got my recipe from:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

I hope this helps.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 5:31am
post #5 of 79

Thank you for sharing everybody, I, like wrightway777 use only wilton too icon_redface.gif and I absolutely hate it icon_mad.gif , I guess it's easy to get, I have been thinking on making my own MMF but I am lazy icon_redface.gif so it's great to hear about Satin Ice and Choco-pan I am going to try them for sure, I hope they are not expensive!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 5:50am
post #6 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by psanders76

I make Marshmallow Fondant. Its not hard at all and it tastes way better than Wilton or Satin Ice. Its very easy to make. I havent been making cakes for too long and maybe the vets have better ideas than me but here is the link that I got my recipe from:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

I hope this helps.

I use the recipe from that website too! It's great.

And I am lazy, so I use my KA to make it. I just grease up the bowl and the dough hook pretty well with crisco, dump the melted marshmallows and water in, put the powdered sugar on top, and just mix away! I use the stir setting. When I see it starting to stick to the bowl, I pull the fondant out of the way with a spatula and regrease the bowl and hook, then knead again on 2 for a little while.

Tonight my daughter and I are making cookies with fondant on top...it's storming here and she won't sleep during thunderstorms...anyhow, we came up with dreamsicle flavored MMF. I added a capful of orange oil (orange oil and plastic measuring spoons do not get along) which I would guess is about 1/4 teaspoon, and 1/2 tablespoon powdered Adams clear vanilla to the basic recipe. We fed a bit of it to our official taste tester (DH) who didn't know what flavor we had made, and he guessed orange sherbet.

miny Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 6:14am
post #7 of 79

I forgot to ask, what is the shelf life of Satin Ice and Choco-pan? because I see they come in big buckets and I don't know if I am going to use it right away, does anyone knows?. Thanks again. icon_smile.gif

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 6:34am
post #8 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by miny

I forgot to ask, what is the shelf life of Satin Ice and Choco-pan? because I see they come in big buckets and I don't know if I am going to use it right away, does anyone knows?. Thanks again. icon_smile.gif

If stored correctly, the shelf-life can be up to a year. And Texas_Rose, that MMF sounds YUMMY! What is orange oil? Is it a Lorann flavoring? And where do you buy powdered vanilla?

wrightway777 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 6:23am
post #9 of 79

Heres a place to get powdered vanilla:
http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/madagascar-vanilla-powder?gclid=CN_Sl-f96JICFRcasgodQjjC4A

Orange oil: Lorann carries orange oil here is what they write:
Ideal for hard candy, chocolates, frostings, cookies, fudges and baking. 4 times stronger than extracts! There is other great brands/specialties out there.

Satin Ice Shelf Life: Minimum 1 year at room temperature in poly bag lined airtight pails. But I found another site that "recommends" it to be only 3 months.
Choco-pan shelf like: Sugarcraft states - are extremely versatile products that have a shelf life of six (6) months, and can be frozen or refrigerated.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 2:17pm
post #10 of 79

I LOVE Satin Ice for the convience AND the taste isn't bad at all

I also use Chocopan BEAUTIFUL stuff and it goes along way

I used to make MMF all the time.. kind of mastered the feel so I wanna try to make a different one now to master that just in case shipping starts getting to me.

I have stored my Chocopan at room temp for a year and it does fine.

Satin ice at least a year .. maybe a little more

pearliesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearliesmom Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 9:13pm
post #11 of 79

Thank you so much for all of your great input. I am new to cake decorating and also use Wilton fondant. I have recently tried to make a batch of MMF and found it to be a major ordeal. Thanks to you all I know now I can use my KA. I enjoy reading everyones suggestions and look forward to learning more. Can wait to use some of the advice I have found on this wonderful site. icon_biggrin.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 9:21pm
post #12 of 79

Welcome to the board Pearliesmom!!!!!

You'll love it here icon_biggrin.gif

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 9:45pm
post #13 of 79

I like Wilton for decorations that I know won't be eaten (like large flowers or bows) and dummy cakes. I also use it for practicing new techniques or ideas without the guilt of wasting fondant. It's good 'starter' fondant in order to get used to working with it, but I would not put it on an actual cake for eating. *shudder* Tho I must say my niece LOVES the stuff. Demented child! 0_o

Satin Ice is YUMMY. It's very soft and easy to work with. I like it best for covering cakes. I've sampled Fondx and it's equally yummy. Both taste like marshmallow with very strong vanilla flavor, which I adore.

I've also made MMF with mixed results. The chocolate version turns out great every time, but strawberry and vanilla versions sometimes taste like gummy powdered sugar. I don't have a KA, and no one except for my niece likes fondant anyway, so I don't feel like trying different kinds of homemade fondant.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 9:46pm
post #14 of 79

Michele Foster's! Hands down, the BEST fondant out there! Simple, cheap, easy to make, and tastes wonderful!

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 11:18pm
post #15 of 79

My favorite (as of yesterday -lol!) is Choco-Pan!! It is so good, at the cake show yesterday, my 7 year old dd was begging me to buy it - which I did. It's awesome. About $5 a pound, but they do have it in smaller amounts. They even have carmel and coffee flavors. The noir (chocolate) is my favorite, but for a Starbucks fan, the coffee flavor would be awesome. Plus, the developer of it was at the show and her and her son are sweethearts - I don't know about you guys, but that goes a long way with me!
For practicing, I still will use MMF, because of the cost though.

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 11:46pm
post #16 of 79

I second jen1977 micheles fosters recipe is soo good, cheap and easy to make.

born2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 11:52pm
post #17 of 79

Jen1977 and stsapph:

Can you please post the link for the Rhonda's Ultimate MMF and Michelle Foster's homemade MMF? I haven't heard of these recipes. Always will try another method of making MMF before I start to buy it as I don't make enough cakes . . . yet . . . that would warrant buying the buckets.

Thanks!

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 12:04am
post #18 of 79
stsapph Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 12:23am
post #19 of 79
wrightway777 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 1:32pm
post #20 of 79

I just printed and saved both Rhonda's and Michele's fondant recipes! I cant wait to try them both - they must be worth gold if they have a perfect rating on CC! I feel like I hit the jackpot!

Few questions though:
1. How long do you think that the shelf life of these two products?
2. 'Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant' recipe mentions to "wrap in oil painted plastic wrap." I've never heard of this method...what oil do you use?
3A. Rhonda's recipe mentions "Princess Cake" and "Cookie Emulsion" does any one have a favorite place to buy those? 3B) when you get it...what part of the ingredient list do you substitute with it (both extracts?)?
4. Michele's recipe also has a note that there is a cookbook she did "The Sugar Fix" does anyone own it? How is it?

any responses will be overwhelmingly appreciated icon_smile.gif

stsapph Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 2:11pm
post #21 of 79

Princess cake and cookie emulsions are both extracts, just omit the lemon juice and lemon extract. I generally use my fondant up fairly quickly, but I think you can keep it for a few months, maybe longer, as long as you keep it well wrapped. I think you can also freeze it, as long as you let it fully thaw and return to room temperature before you use it. Just wrap it tight in plastic wrap and then place in a freezer bag. Make sure you get all the air out. HTH!

Amber

teenycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teenycakes Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 2:14pm
post #22 of 79

WrightWay777,

I bought Michele Foster's book "The Sugar Fix" (online download), and it is such a great recipe book. Every cake recipe I've tried is delicious. Definitely worth the minimal amount she charges for it!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

Danacakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danacakes65 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 2:16pm
post #23 of 79

I usually make MMF (which I have had good luck with),but I am ready to try something new so I just ordered the choco pan.I am excited to try and excited that I dont have to make it...

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 2:39pm
post #24 of 79

I use to make mmf for everything. Tastes great, the price is great. But really, I don't have time anymore.

I started ordering satin ice, i like it, the price is right the taste is great. But, I always like to improve, so I ordrered choco-pan. I love the taste of choco-pan, butI found that it gets melty if it's worked with too much, because of the chocolate base I assume, it also did not hold up well in the humidity. I may offer it as an option for fall and winter cakes.

I ordered ML fondant from geraldines cutters and, and it's quite sugary, but good for rolling and nice consistency, holds well in the humidity.

Last night I ordered cal-java, it should be here this week, and then I'll rate that.

I have a goal to try them all and really use what has the best taste and performance.

I charge $1 extra per serving for fondant, so $100 on a 100 serving cake, I could order almost anything and have my price covered.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 2:41pm
post #25 of 79

Besides MMF, I loved the recipe by Toba Garrett - easy to do, works well and tastes pretty good.

deb

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 3:00pm
post #26 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightway777

1. How long do you think that the shelf life of these two products?
2. 'Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant' recipe mentions to "wrap in oil painted plastic wrap." I've never heard of this method...what oil do you use?

I usually just spray the plastic wrap with canola oil spray. I wrap it several times, then store it in a ziploc freezer bag with as much air out as I can. I've kept it for a few months and it was fine. You may have to heat it for a few seconds in hte microwave to soften it some if you keep it for a long time.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 8:23pm
post #27 of 79

Michele Fosters is the best. I've done MMF and I've done Toba Garrett's recipe. You can't beat Michele Fosters! I also just spray the plastic wrap with cooking spray. It keeps quiet a while as long as its wrapped well. You can also store it in the freezer. I make my own fudgy chocolate fondant by adding a batch of modeling chocolate in equal amounts. Mmmmm fudgy.....

miny Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:27pm
post #28 of 79

I just order my first satin ice bucket icon_biggrin.gif , when I get to master it I will go for choco pan! icon_lol.gif . Thank you so much CCers all your good comments gave me courage to try something new, I love the forums and I love you all!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 11:52pm
post #29 of 79

I mostly use Fondyx, it is delicious & I flavor it too. I also like Satin Ice.

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 5:29am
post #30 of 79

I just made first batch of MMF and was surprised at how easy it was. I was lazy so I let my KA do most of the mixing. My dough hook just broke so I finished kneading it by hand. It was a nice consistency and tastes much better than Wilton.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%