The Nerve!!

Decorating By apuddin Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 4:10am by indydebi

apuddin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apuddin Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 27

I just wanted to have someone who would understand to vent to. My mother and I do cakes and catering together who were all set to a wedding for someone at church the end of May. We were giving them a great deal we thought we asked for a $230.00 deposit and $500.00 at the wedding$730.00 for a 4 tiered bride's cake,a 10 inch fondant grooms cake to look like cheese with cheese cake between cake layers and hand molded mice,plus handmade chicken salad sandwich cutouts,cheese balls, hand made mints, a chocolate fountain with 20lbs of chocolate and dipping items. We were also going to set up everything decorate the tabled and serve. When we told them the price they just didn't understand what the $500.00 was for. They no longer wanted us to the wedding if they had to pay that,but the bride said(this was the last straw) that she had someone through the school cafeteria that could get chocolate cheaper and wanted to know if she could borrow my chocolate fountain for the wedding. Needless to say that answer was a big NO. The nerve of some people.Sorry this ran long ,THANKS for listening to me vent. icon_surprised.gif

26 replies
cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 27

You mean to tell me that they thought they were going to get all of that for $230????? icon_surprised.gificon_confused.gif

What planet are they from? icon_confused.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 27

Being the most non-churchy human on the skin of this earth I would have told her to cram that fountain up her @$$ sideways, and then I would have bitch-slapped her right on into next week.

That really took some chutzpah!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 8:13pm
post #4 of 27

You poor thing, sending friendly hugs your way. icon_smile.gif

There will always be people who go the cheapest route because their only criteria is the lowest cost and not the best value. icon_cry.gif

As has been said before, you don't want to become known as the "cheap decorator" or caterer in your case... (After all you gave them a great deal; and then they forget the remaining balance.) thumbsdown.gif

There will be clients who will recognize the value and true worth of your offerings and appreciate the made-to-order service you provide. birthday.gif

You were right in standing up for your business by declining to allow your fountain to be used without your "fountain package" which would have included the chocolate, etc. (I'm sure indydebi would be proud of you, too!) thumbs_up.gif

HTH

P.S. Might want to include a condition when accepting a deposit at the time of booking in which the contract states that if they change their mind; you keep the money....

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 27

Wow! And I thought you were significantly undercharging them to start with. icon_eek.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:26am
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

(I'm sure indydebi would be proud of you, too!) thumbs_up.gif

What? Did you hear my big "YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" all the way over there when I got to the "...the answer was a big NO" part? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

How many guests were they expecting? Even if it was only 50 people, it was a heck of a bargain!

Yeah, them store brand choc chips from the dollar store ARE cheaper, but I'd love to be in the corner and watch them try to get 'em to work well in a fountain! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:19am
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

Being the most non-churchy human on the skin of this earth I would have told her to cram that fountain up her @$$ sideways, and then I would have bitch-slapped her right on into next week.

Halleluah!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:29am
post #8 of 27

Good grief the ingredients were more than 230.00 icon_surprised.gif

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:36am
post #9 of 27

sounds like she should just go ahead and get married in the cafeteria

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:46am
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerBoudoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

Halleluah!

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif I would have crammed it up there FOR her.. icon_confused.gif What a dolt!

tammycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammycake Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:58am
post #11 of 27

Maybe she is too dumb to realize that you need to make a profit after you purchase the food, make the cakes and other food, serve it, deliver it, and clean up. Not to mention you have business expenses like the cost of the fountain.

If she's lucky they will serve tacos instead of fish sticks in the cafeteria on the Friday before the wedding. Because she is so cheap, all she can afford are the leftovers the kids don't eat.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:05am
post #12 of 27

Good for you for standing your ground. Would be interesting to see what type of wedding she ends up with. icon_eek.gif

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:05am
post #13 of 27

I love how you guys can make everybody feel better about something that has happened to them. I am sitting here by myself laughing about the fountain up her ___ . Maybe they can make fish tacos if they have some of each leftover icon_lol.gif

just_desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_desserts Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:12am
post #14 of 27

My GD paid $750 just to have a chocolate fountain at her wedding. So you were doing the food, cake, etc for less than that & she thought it was too much. She better wake up & smell the roses! ( Oh, she probably can't afford them either!) icon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:16am
post #15 of 27

I charge $600 per 100 guests for my fountains. That's 2 small fountains, the chocolate, 4 dipping foods, plates, forks, napkins, skewers, tablecloth and tableskirting and a crew member to set it up, man it, clean it up and tear it down.

hails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hails Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:20am
post #16 of 27

"WOW, that's not just a cheek that's the entire backside"

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:34am
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodthi32

sounds like she should just go ahead and get married in the cafeteria

She'd probably kick herself for not thinking of that. icon_razz.gif

(Great signature line, BTW.) thumbs_up.gif

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:47am
post #18 of 27

Here's yer sign...........

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:03am
post #19 of 27

Are you joking? The nerve some people leaves me speechless. All you can do sometimes is shake your head and laugh.
I would have told her "I don't loan out my fountain, however you can rent it for $730 !!!!!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 5:42am
post #20 of 27

Some people expect to get everything free! icon_confused.gif If they can afford a wedding they should not do it to beging with, don't feel bad you did the right thing and I completely agree with JanH "KEEP THE DEPOSIT!!!!!" thumbs_up.gif

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 5:58am
post #21 of 27

I agree she could have rented...you just vent you deserve it...

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 6:12am
post #22 of 27

Wow, people's stupidity never ceases to amaze me! I'm paying more than $730 for my venue to put freakin' mints and nuts on the table (which I don't want!) and have coffee service with the cake! It's $4.75/person (I have 150-200 guests), but you HAVE to have this "package." And I'm looking at spending $500 JUST on my cake! My FI's first wedding cost more than $230 and it was in someone's backyard, his grandpa smoked a brisket, there wasn't any music, and people ate off plastic plates. This was 5 years ago. That hillbilly bbq would cost double these days. What does she think she's playing at? You vent all you want, but remember, now that day is open again so you can book a REAL wedding!

P.S. Wanna come do my wedding? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

apuddin Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 7:25pm
post #23 of 27

icon_smile.gif I just want to thank everyone for their kind words I really appreciated it.

dennishaskins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dennishaskins Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 11:32am
post #24 of 27

ugh that really urks me! i was in a similar situation just last week, the bride had asked me to do her wedding and grooms cake and because it was a friend of a friend i was going to do both for $300 (mind you the wedding cake is a 4 tier that no other baker in richmond would touch and the grooms cake was a 3 tier COVERED in fresh strawberries) but she thought that was too much so she is going with a friend that offered to do it for free (not the same cake, just a cake) but she still wants me to do her bridal shower cake... now i just have to make that one as amazing as i possibly can! i'm incredibly spiteful though. haha

apuddin Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:01am
post #25 of 27

I Just wanted to let you know how the wedding turned out my mother went they were trying to dip strawberries and finish other food the morning of the wedding the bride had friends bring food in who knew nothing about cooking for 150 people they ran out of food. The wedding party and the lady doing the decorations along with my mom where ready to strangle the bride..KARMA,KARMA,KARMA!!!!!

apuddin Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:02am
post #26 of 27

THANKS FOR LISTENING!!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gifusaribbon.gif

indydebi Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:10am
post #27 of 27

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I'm sorry the bride's wedding day was a disaster, but on the other hand, you get what you pay for! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

And yes, I absolutely believe in Karma ... nice to see it pans out the way it's suppose to! icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks so much for the update! This sounds like a story on www.etiquettehell.com !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%