What Do Charge For Cake Service??

Business By ccr03 Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 1:24pm by ccr03

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 9

So, I have a tasting this Saturday and the wedding planner told me that the bride plans to ask me about me staying to cut the cake. This will only be the 5-6 big event that I've done, so I'm still learning about all of this.

But so the wedding is about 30 miles from me, so I'll be charging her a delivery fee since it's out of my free delivery zone, but I have no idea what to quote her on the staying to cut service??????

Any and all help is appreciated!!!

THANK YOU!!!

8 replies
lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 9

I would ask indydebi, I think she has the information that she does.

Lu

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 9

I would recommend deciding a generous amount per hour that you think your time is worth, and charge for the full time from arriving to set up the cake to the time you will be finished with the cake cutting. Don't just charge them for the actual time you are cutting the cake, because you should get paid for all the time you sit around waiting for cake cutting time, too. That's time you can't be working on other things. If they decide your price is too steep, then they can ask someone else to cut the cake.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 9

its fairly common to charge at least $100 to stay and cut. think about what you want to get paid hourly for the hours you'll be sitting there waiting to cut, and then actually cutting. i personally don't stay and cut no matter what. i have 2-4 weddings on any given saturday, and i don't have time to sit around at one of htem cutting the cake.

ccr03 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 9

thanks ladies!!

yeah, I figured that I would charge for the whole time.

I think I'll pm indydebi - she so good to us!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:49am
post #6 of 9

I did answer her PM, but thought I'd also post here for anyone else who may be looking for this info.

I personally charge $25/hour with a 4-hour minimum PLUS drive time. You have to set the cake up PRIOR to when everyone arrives .... then sit and wait ... and wait ... and wait .... for the guests to arrive. Then you have to wait thru the toasts and the speeches and dinner and first dance, blah blah blah.

Bring a book.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 7:03am
post #7 of 9

then sit and wait ... and wait ... and wait .... for the guests to arrive. Then you have to wait thru the toasts and the speeches and dinner and first dance, blah blah blah.

Bring a book.[/quote]

Your to funny!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:53pm
post #8 of 9

I charge $.50/serving with a $75 minimum. This includes packaging any leftovers and cleaning up the cake table.

ccr03 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:24pm
post #9 of 9

Karensue,

Thank you for your input. We're not too far from each other, so it's ESPECIALLY helpful to get a local opinion.

P.S. I think we meant last fall at Rebecca Sutterby's class!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%