Tulip Former

Decorating By Verina Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 2:26pm by Verina

Verina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Verina Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 6

Thought I'd share my tip. I made tulips for the first time (see picture if you like).

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1209072

I didn't have any formers for the leaves so I remembered as children we used to make two holes in an egg (one at each tip) and blow out the egg's content (then decorate the shells for Easter). This gave me the perfect shape for the tulip leaves and I kept them on their side in the egg tray - they stayed put without rolling around. I rinsed them with warm soapy water and let them dry over night. Then I gently rubbed some Crisco on them so that my leaves wouldn't stick! Now I can use them over and over!

Just a tip I got from our local S*gar Craft magazine.

5 replies
srodts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodts Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 6

That is awesome!! How did you get the streaking on them and how did you get the pleating in the top.
I live in Holland Mi (home of the tulip time) so that is a tip that I could really use.
Thanks

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 6

they are beautiful....I have a bride wanting tulips in May, she was going to get real ones, but maybe I should try them this weekend??
Were they very hard??

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 6

They are absolutely gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing that tip with us!! icon_smile.gif

nattyk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nattyk Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 6

Wonder if you could use the eggs you get at Easter (the pull apart kind) and wrap real tight with saran wrap and put some crisco on that. Think that might work too???

Verina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Verina Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you for all the nice words! Really appreciated. I am REALLY proud of those tulips.

srodts: They were the easies flowers to make. I used Jem's petal veining tool to frill the edges http://globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=18206 after I used a normal veiner to vein the whole petal. I actually just used an oval cutter to cut the petals.

kettlevalleygirl: You should definately try them. They are REALLY easy to make. After I veined the leave and let them set I assembled the flower and let it dry over night. Then I poked a small hole in the bottom and used a bamboo skewer (painted green with food colouring) to poke in the bottom. It has a point and thus fit snuggly in the little hole. I attached a small calyx (which the real flower doesn't have - I know - but it is really small and you can hardly see it) to help the "stem" to stay in position. I let it dry upside down (by now the flower has set and could easily stand on the petal side). The only thing is that the stem cannot bend - for that you should rather use wire - but I didn't have green floral tape to make the wire thicker.

nattyk: I am sure you can use it with great success!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%