A Little Light !!!please

Decorating By lindav76 Updated 19 Apr 2008 , 11:26pm by lindav76

lindav76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindav76 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 3:27am
post #1 of 14

hi ! i bought a nu-vu oven ,it has a 3 phase wiring ,no plug just wires sticking out could someone explain a little or alot on how this works or what is needed to hot wire the oven ,also i read in another post that indy had had similar trouble with this kind of wiring anyone please help ,i would be very disapointed if i bought this and would have to sell it or could not use it ,i know that alot of your big ovens require this ......
thank you

linda

13 replies
have_your_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have_your_cake Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 14

I'd call an electrician. I'd be afraid I'd damage the oven trying to do it myself.

daveilg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daveilg Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 14

definitely call an electrician. If you connect the wires out of sequence it will not work. I sincerely hope you are installing this oven in a commercial building with 3 phase coming in or you are going to shell out some bucks to have 3 phase brought in to your building. 3 phase is usually used for high power motors like on radar or hydraulic pumps. Does it say it is three phase or are you just counting wires? Sorry have to ask. I was a generator mechanic in the Army!

Dave

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:47am
post #4 of 14

If it is a 3-phase system, the building has to be wired for 3-phase. What happened to me is I had a piece of equipment that was 3-phase and there was no 3-phase wiring in the entire strip mall .... a new piece of single phase wiring equipment had to be spec'd in. (It was the heat booster on my comm'l dishwasher).

Call an electrician. Unless you do electrical work for a living, I wouldn't touch it myself.

lindav76 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:13am
post #5 of 14

no im not just guessing ,it is a 3 phase,and i wasnt trying to hot wire it ,how crazy would i be? lol .I will call an electrician but the building isnt ready ,and around how much would it be to get this kind of wiring to a new building ? what i want to know is anything you can tell me before i start and end up up to my neck with bills .more comments welcome
thanks for your info

indydebi Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:23am
post #6 of 14

When you say the building isn't ready ... are you building a new building? Doing a build-out on an existing building? I dont' confess to knowing much about wiring but I would think to re-wire an entire building for 3-phase would be a major expense.

Let us know what the electrician says. I'd like to know how this works.

lindav76 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:50am
post #7 of 14

a new building ,from bottom - up .
no wiring at all ,we'll see what the electrician says .im not sure but i think the ''electrican''
had told my husband that we would have to have a transmitter placed in the light pole in front of my shop and a new panel what ever that is . he never came back ,we are calling someone else .
thats why i was asking i wanted to know more about this .........

daveilg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daveilg Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:38am
post #8 of 14

Your next call should be to the local power company and see just what they need to put in. I'm suspecting a transformer and the panels the electrician mentioned. It's probably not going to be cheap either. The panel is similar to the "breaker box" in your home except it is set up for 3 phase. It requires larger wiring and breakers to handle the power load. Good luck

Dave

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:41pm
post #9 of 14

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT COLOR ARE THE WIRES? IF THE BACK OF THE OVEN IS ACCESSABLE READ THE LABEL AND WRITE IT DOWN FOR ME. I AM ALSO AND ELEC SO I MAY BE ABLE TO HELP YOU. IS THIS NEW OR USED EQUIPMENT? IF USED WHERE DID YOU GET IT FROM AND HOW OLD IS IT. IF YOU GIVE ME SOME OF THE SPECS MAYBE I CAN LOOK UP THE EQUIP AND TELL YOU HOW IT SHOULD BE WIRED SO YOU DON'T GET TAKEN BY THE ELEC.

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:51pm
post #10 of 14

Sorry about the cap letters, Cap lock is always on for me. I would definetly go with 3 Phase wiring. Also get the largest panel you can afford. Will you own this building or are you renting it. This will determine how much money you want to put into it. Will the elec charge you for the panel plus breakers or will he give you a panel plus x amount of breakers and charge you for any additional. You need to get a detailed break down of everything the elec will be charging you for on paper from him. The cost of copper is going up. They will also charge you per outlet and fixture. If you have any questions just ask. I may be in a different state but wiring is wiring. The local codes may be different thats about all.

lindav76 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 4:19pm
post #11 of 14

this is the one i have
LL
LL

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 5:07pm
post #12 of 14

Your first call should be to your local electric utility company and see if three phase is available in your neighborhood. If it is not, it could be very expensive to get it built in there, or it is possible that it would not even be a feasible option. Some utilities have a minimum KW requirement before they will provide three phase service. Your next call should be your local inspecting authority, i.e. city or county electrical and building inspector. From the nameplate on your oven, it appears that you will need 120/208 WYE three phase service. What you must understand is if you have 120/208 three phase wye service to your building, you can not have the normal 120/240 single phase. Therefore, if you have equipment i.e. a single phase air conditioner, that requires 240 volt single phase, you can not get that from a 120/208 three phase wye service. You need to compile a list of all of your equipment and have a local electrician meet with you and the power company. A possible solution to this is 120/240 four wire three phase service. Ask your electrician and local power company about this voltage -- not all power companies will provide this voltage. If you exercise that option, it would require a dry type transformer at your expense inside the building to convert 120/240 four wire to 120/208 wye. THAT WILL BE EXPENSIVE.

indydebi Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 7:07pm
post #13 of 14

Is this an oven, a proofer, or a food warmer?

lindav76 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 11:26pm
post #14 of 14

oven ,top
stone kind of oven ,middle
proofer,bottom
well this has been very helpful ,very good explanations ill print it out to show my husband
thank you all for your replys

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%