What To Do With Buttercream In Humidity????

Decorating By vickinc Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 12:10pm by indydebi

vickinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickinc Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 3:25am
post #1 of 11

I have an outside wedding coming up in June. She loves BC ( My BC) and her reception will be outside. We live in Eastern NC and in June it could be 100 degrees with 100% humidity. Is there something I can add to my BC to resist the humid yucky BC drips? I just know my BC will melt in that setting!!! icon_confused.gif

10 replies
plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:04am
post #2 of 11

Tell her you need to have the cake in a tent for sure... Have you seen those ice chest air conditioners they have at football games? Maybe modify that idea somehow? Have a fan blowing across ice toward the cake? LOL...maybe that sounds stupid, but living in Louisiana, I'm very aware of heat...

I have not had a cake outside yet...lol Did have one in my front seat the other day for 40 miles with the AC blowing FULL blast... I'm interested to see how mine holds up this summer...

It seems like I read on Earlene's site that she says here BC holds up well in the heat and humidity...?

Good luck! icon_smile.gif
Pat

vickinc Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:14am
post #3 of 11

I did do one once after a Hurricane hit here... no power for 3 days... no AC just fans... The couple didnt want to postpone wedding.... I had the cakes baked of course but I had to deal with generator light... very dim... and my gosh trying to get the icing to set... I had roses dripping off on my way to the church, I wouldnt stack it until right before reception (brought all the fans to reception)... I left ceremony early so I could set it up, I gave strict instructions on when to cut it... ( like immediately), had their pics taken immediately with it and only from one angle.... after they cut it... I unstacked it and breathed a sigh of relief that the nightmare was over icon_eek.gif I still love to decorate! Just feel like a beginner since I have been on this website thoughicon_smile.gif) everyones cakes look so proffesional!!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:31am
post #4 of 11

I've had mine out in direct sun at around 90 degrees with humidity and with the high ratio shortening I've had no problem. What do you use? Now you do have to watch colors fading in the sun. icon_sad.gif

vickinc Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:37am
post #5 of 11

I use butter and shortening. I have been mixing it pretty soft lately due to my wrist problems, that way I can still do some cakes. But I can stiffen it up a bit and leave out some butter, replace with flavoring?

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:40am
post #6 of 11

I think here key words were:

Hi ratio

I love it too... It just works so well...

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:53am
post #7 of 11

I live in S.C. so I understand your problems with heat and humidity. I use Sugarshack's buttercream recipe with the hi-ratio shortening. I don't have any problems with it in the heat. It holds up very well and tastes great.

Before finding her recipe, I made a cake with butter and shortening buttercream and let's just say that most of the icing was around the bottom of the cake before it was ever cut LOL.

debster Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:59am
post #8 of 11

I have to say even when I used Crisco, until I had all the problems after the trans fat stuff I never had a problem, but I didn't use butter I used the flavoring. Butter is definately the culprit in the heat. I would say if you can't get high ratio then leave out the butter and go with the flavoring. For safety purposes. HTH

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:00am
post #9 of 11

IVE JUST ORDER MY HI RATIO SHORTING FOR THE FIRST TIME IT WILL BE HERE FRI.CAN WAIT TO SEE IF IT WORKS LIKE YOU ALL SAY IT DOES...

debster Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:10am
post #10 of 11

You can get away with using less of the high ratio so be careful, I love that the greasy taste is gone with that and the icing is so much more fluffy and lighter in texture. Let us know how you like it. Niters to all.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:10pm
post #11 of 11

My recipe uses the zero trans fat crisco and holds up outside in 90+ degrees and super high humidity for hours. I've never had cake meltdown.

It's in the recipe section.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%