Fondant Vs. Gum Paste

Decorating By something_sweet Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 2:07am by something_sweet

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:21am
post #1 of 11

This may seem like a stupid question, but is there a difference between processed fondant and gum paste? I am in the Wilton Course 3, and we use fondant to make our flowers. If gum paste os different, is it easier or harder to work with.

Thanks!!!

10 replies
Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:40am
post #2 of 11

Hi. I have used the Wilton gumpaste and it has been very difficult. I am considering trying the kind you mix instead of the ready made. There are also some other brands I am considering trying.

kbrown99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbrown99 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:40am
post #3 of 11

Gum paste dries faster. Also, I wouldn't eat gum paste. You can roll gum paste thinner for more realistic looking flowers. I think a lot just depends on what you are wanting to use it for.

kbrown99 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:42am
post #4 of 11

You can also make a gum paste by adding tylose (CMC) to fondant. Lorraine (aine2) is a genius with gum paste. You've got to see her figurines.

kbrown99 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:43am
post #5 of 11

You can also make a gum paste by adding tylose (CMC) to fondant. Lorraine (aine2) is a genius with gum paste. You've got to see her figurines.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:58am
post #6 of 11

any brand name of fondant, and tylose, or gumtex added makes gumpaste.. in course 111 , that is what you do . you add some gumtex that is in the kit to 12 oz. of fondant. that way you can make the rose in that course. or you can buy the g/p already prepared. i really like it. i love to make nicholas lodge's recipe too. but agian, i do like the wilton already prepared g/p.. i don,t like the satin ice g/p . for me it is too soft. sometimes the wilton powdered gumpaste mix, comes out really soft too. i guees it depends on the weather that day. i know you can add in more p/s but it is still soft for me.

jddavidson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jddavidson Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:59am
post #7 of 11

You can also mix your ready made gum paste and fondant together ( mix 50-50) This becomes a gum paste and it is easy to work with and I thinks is makes the gumpaste not as sticky. You can also add the Wilton Gum Tex to you fondant and by doing this your fondant becomes a gum paste mixture also.

Personally I like using either straight Gum Paste or the 50-50 Mixture.

Hope this helps,
jddavidson

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:29am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrown99

You can also make a gum paste by adding tylose (CMC) to fondant.

I never heard that before.

something_sweet Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 8:21pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you! That helps!

Although I am confused because my teacher had us add gumtex to our fondant before we covered our cake with it... and that doesn't make sense to me if it is to be used for flowers. But it doesn't suprise me, because I don't think he is the most knowledgable instructor! haha!

jddavidson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jddavidson Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 8:38pm
post #10 of 11

I am an instructor and when i took the classes no one explained that to me either......So i had to ask question and start playing with the fondant & gum paste.

Here is what i tell my students when they come to class........
Straight fondant....Use it to cover cakes, use it for overlays, inlays, and borders. You could use it for swags.

flowers, figures etc.......
There is staight Gum paste right out of the package,

then there is Fondant with ready made gum paste mixed together (50-50)= Gum Paste

Then fondant with Gum Tex mixed together= Gum paste.

They all dry a little different...some take longer than the others. And the hardness sometimes is a little different.
I just played with it all until i figured out what i liked.

I hope this helps a little.

something_sweet Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:07am
post #11 of 11

that helps so much! Thank you!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%