Decorating Question

Decorating By 1happymommy Updated 16 Apr 2008 , 11:25am by wgoat5

1happymommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1happymommy Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 7:45am
post #1 of 8

Hi! I am making my first fondant covered cake for my daughter's birthday. I've never worked with fondant before, and was wondering if it was ok to go ahead an do the cake 2 days ahead. The filling on the cake needs to be refrigerated, and I didn't know if fondant could go in the fridge or not. Any advice would be most helpful icon_smile.gif Thanks! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 8:41am
post #2 of 8

most fondant can be refrigerated. The chocopans and this type of white chocolate fondant however isnt too good to do this, When you take it out of fridge it will sweat and need to let come to room temp and dry.

Colliegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Colliegirl Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 8:58am
post #3 of 8

Actually rolled fondant (I am not familiar with what American's call things so I hope this is the material you are talking about) cannot be refridgerated, it sweats. icon_cry.gif

This is unfortunately the problem with most of the cakes today, as many people don't like the traditional fruit cakes ,which could be made well in advance and intricately decorated. Thus many of the cakes today need to be refrigerated or made on the day or the previous day. Hence many of the decorations today are simple because of this.

I find making the cake the day before very stressfull but has to be done. But I make the flowers in advance and then put them onto the fondant covered cake that day.

You can at least say "Its fresh" icon_lol.gif

2sdae Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 9:09am
post #4 of 8

satin ice says it can refrigerated, so does pettinice too. I have put satin ice in fridge and it was fine for me.
If you put a cake in fridge and it is very warm in your house/kitchen or outside where cake will be it can sweat but the chocolate based ones are worse for this. You can put a fan blowing on it to help with temp regulating too.

Colliegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Colliegirl Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 9:24am
post #5 of 8

Hi thanks for that "2s" can you let me know what these types of icings are? In all the books that I have read these have not been defined so I don't know how different they are from the rolled fondant. I buy my fondant now, but used to always make it The mess was getting to me, if you know what I mean icon_lol.gif

Am not liking to try the buttercream as it is way too fattening, but also trying to get it super smooth is way too frustrating, (I am not known for my patience) know what I mean? icon_redface.gif

2sdae Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 10:46am
post #6 of 8

satin ice and pettinice are types of pre made fondant you can buy.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:24am
post #7 of 8

i have not tried this, but have heard that you can put a crboard box on it and let it come to room temperature and it won't sweat

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:25am
post #8 of 8

I was also told if you cover it with plastic wrap making sure it touches the cake .. it won't sweat.. I dunno though

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%