Wilton's Castle Cake

Decorating By MissChrissy Updated 22 Apr 2008 , 10:05pm by chinadoll652003

MissChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissChrissy Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 7

Has anyone tried to use the Wilton Romantic Castle Cake kit? Any advice? I am a newbie and I am trying it out this weekend for my neices birthday! Thanks!!

6 replies
auntsteff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsteff Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 7

I made this cake for my niece's birthday last September. She wanted it to look exactly like the one on the cover of the Wilton Yearbook. I had to buy the gumpaste kit, a small leaf tip (#349, I think), and the castle kit itself. I followed the directions in the yearbook and I had no problems at all. Look in my gallery, there are a couple of pictures of the cake.

I made the flowers a few weeks in advance to save myself some time, the gumpaste was extremely easy to use. I bought the gumpaste powder, not the ready made. Keep in mind that this cake is HUGE. We had tons of leftovers!

Melony Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melony Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 3:49am
post #3 of 7

I made this cake a few weeks ago and it was a lot fun. The turrets are a little bit of a challenge when it comes to keeping them sturdy. I had to use a lot of royal icing on them. The instructions called for using candy melts, but that did not work for me at all.

Just like Auntsteff, I made the fondant flowers a few weeks ahead of time. That was a big time saver! With that being said, this cake took me about 6 hours of decorating time. I'm a newbie, so I tend to be a little slow still. LOL I have a picture of the cake in my photos.

This cake is beautiful when it's done and is worth all the work that goes into it. Good luck!!

Melony

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 4:30am
post #4 of 7

I made a castle cake for it. I think the hardest part was keeping the turrets in. If you look in my photos it is the shrek castle. I have heard of some people drilling a hole through the bottom so they could put a dowel through it. That would have been very helpful.
Have fun and post a picture when your done.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 8:01am
post #5 of 7

does anyone hav advice for covering the pieces in fondant. I was thinking of covering the plastic with piping gel and then cutting a rectandle to wrap around the column part of the turret and then have the seam at the back to hide it.

any body have a better idea? what about covering the pointed tops?

thanks for any advice.

abw2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abw2005 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 7

I did this about 1 1/2 weeks ago for my daughter's first birthday. I didn't cover the towers in fondant, they are a shiny plastic and all I did was pipe around the windows and attach the flowers w/ candy melts. As far as the turrets, they are just frosted as well, and attached to the tower with candy melts as well. I found that candy melts dry faster and harder than royal icing, so I used them to attach some pieces to others. Flowers were made from dyed fondant, done 2 days in advance. I also attached the plastic dowels to the bottom of the towers with candy melts, no drilling done here! A pic of the cake is in my photos for any that are interested!

chinadoll652003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadoll652003 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 7

I made the castle for my daughter back in Septemeber. It was a first for me. I personally didn't like the candy melts.
had a lot of problems with the turrets staying on also. I used RI to attach them. The wilton instructor at my Micheals also gave me a hint. Use RI to attach the towers to the sides of the cake. It worked great!
I also used RI to make the roses I attached to my towers and turrets.
A pic of my cake is in my photos if your interested in looking.

Good luck and have fun! I know I did and can't wait to make another one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%