Photo Stealing?

Business By weirkd Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 11:27pm by littlecake

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:19am
post #31 of 44

okay. icon_sad.gif I think that this post should be locked. this is turning nasty. Let's go to something a little happier. I think we all agree you shouldn't use someoneelse's work as your own.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:35am
post #32 of 44

This post isn't nasty. People seriously need to not read too much tone into posts. I am certainly not being nasty.

Let's just lock all of the posts where everyone doesn't agree.. icon_confused.gif

Come on now.. can we not have a back and forth discussion without someone getting all bent out of shape because everyone isn't agreeing?

To clafiry my tone.. nothing I have typed has come from a nasty place.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:03am
post #33 of 44

I agree. But like I said, Im done. I got my answer and next time I will think twice about posting anything here. Thanks so much for all your help.
Good night!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:54am
post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreCakePlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Give credit where credit is due. When people are nice enough to help you you should acknowledge that.. if you don't, you sour the people who helped you from helping others. I have been burned helping people, and I have been so rewarded helping people.. I choose to keep helping, but am definitely less apt to do it without some serious thought now. I have seen cakes where I have helped with the decorating posted.. with no mention of any help at all.. it stinks.. but life is life and what can you do?

Why this overwhelming need for accolades? Shouldnât helping your fellow man be satisfaction enough?

I'm not saying the recipient doesn't need to offer thanks, but thanks should be freely given and never forced, demanded, or required by The Giver. If acknowledgment is something you have to have, make it a part of the deal. Tell the recipient (before you help them) that you expect to receive equal credit on the project and written acknowledgement of your help. That would clear up any confusion and prevent hurt feelings on your part.

I am very open to help people...but I think that if I spent some time explaining how to do a cake I know I would show some appreciation by thanking them and saying they helped me. Is just nice to be appreciated.

FromScratch Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:53am
post #35 of 44

tonedna.. I am teh same way. I freely give out instructions on how to do some of my cakes when asked and my instructions are VERY thorough.. it is nice to be appreciated and I would give "accolades" to anyone who took the time to help me on the same level.. It just seems like common courtesy. I'm glad I am not the only one who feels that way.

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:41pm
post #36 of 44

Everyone loves to be appreciated, but my feeling is that the act of helping someone shouldnât hinge on the level of gratitude the recipient shows in return.

All this reminds me of a scene from the movie âGroundhogâs Dayâ. Every day Bill Murray races to the same spot to catch a child falling from a tree. As soon a Bill Murray sets the boy down, the boy races off without a word of thanks. One day in frustration Bill yells after the fleeing boy âA thank you would be nice.â

Bill never gets his âthank youâ from the boy, but everyday Bill is there to catch the boy as he falls.

FromScratch Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:05pm
post #37 of 44

And I continue to help people even if they don't say thank you.. it doesn't mean that it still wouldn't be nice. My help doesn't hinge on your level of thanking me.. I will help if I am asked and do so gladly. Doesn't mean that it wouldn't be nice to get that "thank you cake pal". I treat people the way I would like to be treated.. if someone helps me I say thank you.. probably too much.. but I'd rather over thank than not thank someone. That is my point. Not that I need my ego stroked because I definitely don't.

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:26pm
post #38 of 44
Quote:

When people are nice enough to help you you should acknowledge that.. if you don't, you sour the people who helped you from helping others.

sorry, I guess I miss-understood.

FromScratch Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:12pm
post #39 of 44

I won't say that I don't think it sucks.. I am human and am not perfect, but I do still help others.. eventhough many don't say thank you. I try to help everyday. The statement you quoted was a general statement. I know people who have stopped offering help because people are ungreatful. Perhaps I should have said you can sour people from helping.

I don't want you to think I am picking on you directly.. just think that the world in general could use a dose of kindness. (wow that sounds hippy-ish icon_lol.gif )

Theresa50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Theresa50 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:35pm
post #40 of 44

after reading this post I am uncertained if I have told everyone thank you for all the help. I am very grateful for everyone here on cc for all thier help .. if it wasn't for the help here i wouldn't be able to learn the things i do.. and the people here are amazing in giving their time and help.. so i want to give everyone a big thank you for everytime you have been there for me icon_redface.gif .. thank you everyone for the caring and love that you share with me.. God bless you and yours..

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:35pm
post #41 of 44

I can see both sides of the issue, and there are good and bad points.

But, I guess it doesn't really bother me as much if it's a close friend and or decorator with almost the same skills and only does this ocassionally.

Not like this guy I know, I went to school with him and he thinks that he can be offering to make cakes left and right with no skills, then comes in to ask me how he can do it.

I've finally just directed him to google stuff and that I was just too busy to get involved.

The last thing he asked me to help him with was a Spiderman Cake for some DJ's son.

He wanted to do the Spidey coming/breaking out of a brick wall.

I explained to him how I would've done it and thought that was the end of it.

He actually showed up and looked so Sad, but I held firm

If you don't have the skills to sell, then you should'nt be selling your skills!

Practice, practice and more practice!!!!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:01pm
post #42 of 44

Butterwench, this woman is the same way. She really shouldnt be advertising for a business if she doesnt know how to do it.

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 10:02pm
post #43 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreCakePlz

Quote:

Give credit where credit is due. When people are nice enough to help you you should acknowledge that.. if you don't, you sour the people who helped you from helping others. I have been burned helping people, and I have been so rewarded helping people.. I choose to keep helping, but am definitely less apt to do it without some serious thought now. I have seen cakes where I have helped with the decorating posted.. with no mention of any help at all.. it stinks.. but life is life and what can you do?

Why this overwhelming need for accolades? Shouldnât helping your fellow man be satisfaction enough?

I'm not saying the recipient doesn't need to offer thanks, but thanks should be freely given and never forced, demanded, or required by The Giver. If acknowledgment is something you have to have, make it a part of the deal. Tell the recipient (before you help them) that you expect to receive equal credit on the project and written acknowledgement of your help. That would clear up any confusion and prevent hurt feelings on your part.

I am very open to help people...but I think that if I spent some time explaining how to do a cake I know I would show some appreciation by thanking them and saying they helped me. Is just nice to be appreciated.

ITA. This is just pure common sense. If someone helps me with something I thank them for it. If someone helps me with something by making it for me I donât turn around and show off the other personâs hard work and claim it as my own (Iâm still just floored by that idea). I may show other people but Iâd make it abundantly clear who actually made it. People who donât are lying to the folks they show the work too and stealing the hard work of someone who was nice enough to try and help them out. Plain and simple.

I'm sorry this has happend to you weirkd. It sucks that you were just trying to help someone out and they used you. Hopefully though this won't stop you from lending your expertise to other fledgling decorators in the future. As far as the decorator who stole your work goes, her dishonesty will catch up with her in the end.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:27pm
post #44 of 44

If you don't have the skills to sell, then you should'nt be selling your skills!

WELL SAID!

all during this thread i thought about the customer, ordering one thing and getting something else...THAT IS NOT COOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%