What Are Your Favorite Fondant Tools?

Decorating By jtnbatch Updated 31 May 2008 , 7:49pm by shantel575

jtnbatch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtnbatch Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 27

I just started using fondant, and want to know what tools I should invest in to get started. What are your must haves? Thanks for the advice.

26 replies
LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 27

I like those little paddle things you use to smooth the fondant. Iâm sure they have a better technical name then that.

I use my Wilton fondant cutting wheel all the time.

And I canât live without my xacto knife.

Iâve got a bunch of fondant junk I almost never use but itâs nice to have around for that once in a blue moon type situation when it is exactly what I need.

I NEVER use that Wilton roll and cut mat (total pita) but I know some folks on here swear by it.

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 27

I would love to know too.Never really work with it,except roses.Please share! icon_wink.gif

PatrysV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatrysV Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 10:24am
post #4 of 27

I use a pizza-cutter to cut my fondant! Works like a charm thumbs_up.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 10:28am
post #5 of 27

My Ateco mats... LOVE them for rolling the fondant out on..

My large rolling pin... its stainless and sooo heavy it helps to get the fondant nice and thin and even..

I love my exacto knife.. palette knife.. ball tools, dog bone ... all that good stuff...

my cutters, embossers and veiners... I LOVE them also (although I need to categorize them so I know what I have )

I love my ribbon cutters, strip cutters, all in one rose cutters..

Just to name a few icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 27

I keep adding things. All sorts of things will work for fondant.

First, as many little cookie cutters as you can get. You never know when you'll need one icon_biggrin.gif I like the Wilton sets in different sizes. Also, clay tools work for fondant, so you can look for more cutters in the clay aisle...I just bought a set of three sizes of butterflies that I haven't used yet, but I know it's going to be neat. Clay cutters are cheaper than the Wilton sets too.

I have the small white Wilton rolling pin with the rings. I like it just fine for small things. For bigger things, I use a silpin rolling pin...but before I got that, I used a nonstick rolling pin from the grocery store and it was fine.

I roll large pieces of fondant on the Wilton cake dividing wheel...that thin plastic thing with the circles printed on it, because it's easy to tell when you've rolled it large enough. It has a couple of folds in it that I've never been able to get out, but they don't show up in the cake. For smaller things, I have a couple of red silicone baking mats I bought at Walmart (8 dollars for the pair of them). Nothing sticks to them icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I just bought a little fondant cutter at Target yesterday for $4. It says it's a pastry cutter, but it's going to be perfect for fondant. It has two wheels, a smooth one like a tiny pizza wheel, and then a ruffled one. I have a plastic Wilton fondant cutter and it works fine, and so does the pizza wheel. For tiny detail work, a xacto knife is the best...the kind with the interchangable blades (hobby lobby sells a copy one for less than four dollars)

I also like to find plastic placemats with texture, to imprint a texture on fondant. I bought a silicone trivet the other day because it looked like it would be good for making fondant look like tire treads, if I ever needed to. (LOL you never know)

Oh, and I bought a set of playdoh cutters and molds at Target for $6 that has a lot of neat shapes for kids cakes...giraffe, dolphin and a bunch of others.

Oh, and the absolute best...the different dusts

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:36pm
post #7 of 27

One of my most used tools is my little pasta maker. I got it at Hobby Lobby in the clay sculpting section. With my 40% off coupon, it only cost me $10. I use it ALL the time. Much easier to roll fondant/gumpaste really thin.

norma20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
norma20 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:24pm
post #8 of 27

5" Spring Action Snip
Painting and Palette knife

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 7:35am
post #9 of 27

I love working with fondant you can find so many thing to use that dont have any thing to do with cake dec . Things I love very large clay gun the one duff uses and I love patchwork cutters this is my first paid cake with the cutters. You can use anything go wild.
LL

norma20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
norma20 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:00pm
post #10 of 27

Loved the frogs, loved the butterfly, loved the water lily at the botton, loved everything! By the way, how did you make that water lilly?

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:18pm
post #11 of 27

norma20 I used the patchwork cutters I bought online

Lil_Belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lil_Belle Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 5:43pm
post #12 of 27

Once I really got into cake making I bought a KA 5 quart, and that has been the easiet thing for me to make fondant in. My hands don't hurt nearly as much and it's much cleaner icon_smile.gif other then that I use the pastry cutter from target, and all of the flower tools mentioned above. Good luck and have fun with it!

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 7:44pm
post #13 of 27

my favorites are my pizza cutter and a pair of scissors I bought for snipping extra pieces here and there!

ctucker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctucker Posted 23 May 2008 , 6:59pm
post #14 of 27

Im on a major budget but I decided I was going to try my hand at fondant roses the other day. I cont have one of those tools with the ball on the end to roll on the petals to make them more realistic so I went out to see what I could find. There is very little here that sells stuff like that but I ended up finding something cheep that works great. I ended up paying onl $3.50 for a set of long wooden knitting needles with rounded wooden tops. Worked perfect and the pointed tips came in handy too.

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 23 May 2008 , 7:22pm
post #15 of 27

My number one favorite fondant tool is my quilting grid! Quilting is my other hobby and I have found that I've used one of my grids for every fondant cake I've done...cut perfectly even strips as skinny or thick as you want...perfect squares, triangles...whatever. Used as a guide with the pizza cutter icon_biggrin.gif Also excellent tool to see if your fondant is rolled out big enough.

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 23 May 2008 , 7:28pm
post #16 of 27

dg10148

where did you get your large clay gun?

i was watching Ace of Cakes one day and one of the decorators was using it.

I want one icon_cry.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 23 May 2008 , 7:29pm
post #17 of 27

I'm also a fairly new newbie icon_confused.gif at doing shapes with fondant so I love this thread. I just ran out to Michael's and bought a brand new fondant tool set for $12 (with my 40% off) and it comes with a ton of stuff! I only made it a necessity because I read about it on another thread and someone said it was worth the $$ plus they believed Michael's had underpriced it (another store was selling it for $30!).

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 23 May 2008 , 10:55pm
post #18 of 27

All the PME tools are great, a sharp pointy scissor, ball tool, pizza cutter, palette knife, small steel spatula, these are what I use with fondant all the time.

shantel575 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shantel575 Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:42pm
post #19 of 27

My must haves:

- JEM strip cutters - ALL of them (saves SO much time when making stripes!)

- pizza cutter (hate the wilton one!)

- had the wilton roll n cut mat until it started making me crazy! the edges roll up and it gets SO sticky (even when using pwd sugar constantly) so I just invested in the pampered chef pastry mat and holy cow this thing is awesome! I stumbled on it by accident when trying to find a mat and boy am I glad I found this baby. It's non-stick silicone on top (haven't used a DROP of powdered sugar and roll out fondant on it without ANY sticking!) and the bottom is non slip and the edges won't curl up like wilton's. LOVE IT!

- I got these things on a whim but now I can't live without them (double ball stylus, they are made for clay sculpting). I use them ALL the time for fondant details. To pick up small pieces that my fingers will mess up if I touch them, to sculpt small details in figures or to poke letters out of cutters when they stick icon_smile.gif They come in handy for all sorts of stuff!
LL

shantel575 Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:45pm
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyboots

dg10148

where did you get your large clay gun?

i was watching Ace of Cakes one day and one of the decorators was using it.

I want one icon_cry.gif

I recently saw them use the clay extruder on Ace of Cakes and it made the light bulb come on in my head! icon_lol.gif I bought one of the Play Doh fun factory toys that does the exact same thing! And I already tried it and it does work. Not fun to clean up, but it works! (of course it's a brand new one that has never been used with play doh or anything, haha)

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:52pm
post #21 of 27

Rolling pin, bench knife, pizza cutter and a exacto knife. And my dog bone tool, sponge thingy, garrett friller, crimpers, pasta cutter, clay extruder, toothpick.

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:58pm
post #22 of 27

thanks, shantel!!

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:05am
post #23 of 27

Love my small extruder - use it constantly. Someone mentioned loving the gem strip cutter... been wondering how good that was and sounds like it's pretty awesome. Might have to order it tonight. I had been using the wilton strip cutter but it just doesn't cut very cleanly.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:27am
post #24 of 27

i absolutely love pizza cutters and those little ball tools (made perfect divits in my golf balls) and any not previously used scrapbooking stamps-i love stamping into fondant!! oh and a small palett knife or spatula to help pick up tiny pieces

shantel575 Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:46am
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by susgene

Love my small extruder - use it constantly. Someone mentioned loving the gem strip cutter... been wondering how good that was and sounds like it's pretty awesome. Might have to order it tonight. I had been using the wilton strip cutter but it just doesn't cut very cleanly.

Once you use the JEM strip cutters, you will throw that wilton thing into the trash icon_smile.gif At least that's what I did icon_lol.gif I love the JEM strip cutters!

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 31 May 2008 , 7:36am
post #26 of 27

If you want to get those folds out of your Wilton mats, roll them on an empty tube from wrapping paper. It doesn't take long.

HTH icon_smile.gif

shantel575 Posted 31 May 2008 , 7:49pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisD13

If you want to get those folds out of your Wilton mats, roll them on an empty tube from wrapping paper. It doesn't take long.

HTH icon_smile.gif

the problem with mine was rolling up on the edges (all 4 sides) so I tossed it. this new mat I got is my new best friend. I've saved a lot of time, fondant and powdered sugar because it's nonstick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%