Luster Dust Help

Decorating By tastyart Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 2:45am by tastyart

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 8

I have to make a cake with metallic raspberry and pearl. Should I paint the luster dust on white or colored fondant? Also, how far does a container of luster dust go? I have no idea how much to buy. Your help is greatly appreciated.

7 replies
tastyart Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:52pm
post #2 of 8

Can no one out there help me? Am I being impatient?

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 7:04am
post #3 of 8

Sorry you never got a response. You can certainly paint the luster dust on white fondant, although colored fondant gives you a little "wiggle room" with regard to your dust coverage...i.e. if it's not as thick in some spots, rather than having "white" show thru, colored fondant will blend right in. You might need more layers of dust-paint if you start with white, but if coloring the fondant isn't realistic for your needs, then rest assured it will surely work.

I have a few pots of luster dust, the little ones, and it's hard to say precisely how far they will go - I mean it obviously relates directly to how much area you need to cover, and also to whether you are dusting it on dry or painting it on w/alcohol or extract. Can you be more specific about how much coverage you need? I've always only used my dusts for accent pieces i.e. never for a whole cake (wait a minute, I did use copper once for a whole cake...and I surely didn't even use half the pot...I colored the fondant though, and then dry dusted it. I am sure it would have used a LOT more if I'd painted it on with everclear.) It does go a long way but it's so hard to be specific about "how far"!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 10:38am
post #4 of 8

icon_smile.gif What ceshell said .... I though always order a lot more then I need... for those JUST in case times...

I tint my fondant just so slightly to get a really good effect but it doesn't have to be to the color... the luster/pearl will do that for you..

The one thing not to do is to try to use the like blue pearl on a white fondant base... that won't work.. it's got a blue tone for blue based icings... just used that as an example.. but a blue luster will give you blue fondant ... I hope I explained that ok? TOOOO early in the morning lol

Have a wonderful day icon_smile.gif

Christi

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 8

I used gold luster dust on the 50th anniversary cake in my photos by mixing it with lemon extract and painting it on crusted BC- I painted the 10" and 14" tier completely, and used three of the little pots of it- my icing unerneath was white, so had I know then what I know now, I would have colored it first, and probably used alot less. icon_wink.gif
Kerri

tastyart Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you so much. I have to cover two whole tiers with pearl and two with the raspberry. When you put the luster dust on dry, do you have to do anything to the fondant first?

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 2:58pm
post #7 of 8

no ma'am and I LOVE the raspberry color icon_wink.gif

tastyart Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:45am
post #8 of 8

Thank you all for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%