Frozen Reverse Buttercream Transfer

Decorating By Win Updated 15 Apr 2008 , 5:08pm by dollyo

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 3

I've looked out in the forums to read up on this and am getting ready to try my first. I see a lot of discussion as to preferred frostings for outlining but don't see much comment on what is a preferred buttercream to use as the fill-in.

For those who do this on a regular basis, is one buttercream better for this method than another? More shortening based? Less shortening based? Consistency/flow? Or, do you just work with the same buttercream you are using for the cake surface?

Thanks for any tips!

2 replies
allee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allee Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 3

I have only done a few, but I use my reg. buttercream, thinned just a bit. Then after I have done all the colors etc. I use b/c that is the same as what I iced the cake in (not thinned) to cover the entire back of the design and around the outer edge of the complete design. I just put a thin layer of it on, that way when I flip it over on the cake the edge of the design is the same as the top of the cake. Not sure if that is the "correct" way or not, but it's the only way I can do it and be happy with the look! lol
HTH

dollyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dollyo Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 3

I am interested in this also. I am doing a grooms cake for a wedding this weekend (small wedding for 2 80 year-olds) and I want to put the marine logo on top of it with frozen buttercream. What do you use for the outline that works properly? I read the instructions posted and will give it a trial run - but some hints would be great!

Thanks,
Dolly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%