Tuxedo Strawberries Question

Decorating By jenny518 Updated 21 Apr 2008 , 6:31am by flowers40

jenny518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny518 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 12:55am
post #1 of 9

When you make chocolate covered strawberries, how far in advance can you make them. And- do you refrigerate or leave out at room temp.? I need them for a Sunday (after church service) wedding shower. I'm trying to avoid having to make them that morning, and wondered if someone had experience with them... I do not want them to get gooey.

8 replies
flowers40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowers40 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:17am
post #2 of 9

I would venture to say, that the most ahead you want to make these is 24 hours. I made mine for a grooms cake the night before the wedding. I don't even think they sat for 12 hours, before they started looking a little runny. I was suprised, because I really thought with all that chocolate they would hold up to anything. But, the reception hall was extremely warm all afternoon and throughout the event. So that might have had something to do with it. I would wonder if putting them into the fridge would not cause the chocolate to gray a bit?

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:07am
post #3 of 9

I used to work at a restaurant where we gave out complimentary chocolate strawberries with the check. We always kept them refrigerated, and you had a shelf life of about 24-36 hours before they got weepy.

When I do dipped strawberries, I add about 2 Tablespoons of canola oil per pound of real chocolate (NOT chocolateflavoredcoatingproductstuff) when melting. You shouldn't have a problem with bloom (the cocoa butter coming to the surface) if you do that.

jenny518 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks for the info! I will make them the night before, and that will make it easier on me.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 9

jenny, i tried for the first time last night to do the tux strawberries and i had a mess, first i dipped the whole strawberry in white chocolate is this right? and they looked lumpy i dont know if it was the brand of white choco but i had to put them in the frig to get them to set up then i melted my choc and dipped on side into it they kept wanting to slip out of my fingers what else can i use to dip them they look awful and i need to know how to do this by May 2 i have a wedding on the 3rd
Thanks for the info

jenny518 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:38am
post #6 of 9

Cakebaker, I did a test run also. I just used "almond bark" coating and choc. almond bark coating because that's what I had. I simply melted them in the microwave and stirred. It shouldn't be lumpy (maybe melt a little more if it is). If even a drop of water gets into the chocolate, it will mess up, so make sure the berries are patted completely dry (and your hands are dry). You were right, dip in white choc. first. (Hold it by the green top.) Then set them on waxed paper. My berries set up in about 10 minutes. Then I dipped each side in the dark choc. Afterward, put a little choc. in a parchment bag and pipe the buttons and tie. I just held them by the green tops, but if your fingers touch the back or bottom, it won't show later- the chocolate will slide over the fingerprints. I hope it works out for both of us!!

kentuckyjode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kentuckyjode Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:39am
post #7 of 9

I just dip the fronts in white, let dry and then dip the sides and back in milk chocolate. Then I pipe on the dots(buttons) and bow ties. They usually weep after 24 hours whether I refridge them or not. Hope this helps!

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 11:47am
post #8 of 9

Thank you jenny and Kentuckyjode, i was wondering how to do the tye i just used a toothpick and took the chocolate and out dots on it for the buttons couldnt get the tye to work out my daughter said that the ones she saw look like they were black , i said maybe they used dark chocolate where i used milk chocolate what tip size did you use for the bow tye

flowers40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowers40 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 6:31am
post #9 of 9

If you want black in the chocolate, you can sometimes find black candy melts at Michaels. I got black candy melts from there before. I didn't think it was as black as it could be, but it was more black than brown. You can also get candy food coloring to tent your candy melts the color you are trying to get. I wouldn't think it really matters in the grand scheme of things. Most people are not going to be looking close enough to remember whether the bows were black of brown.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%