Buttercream Cake Question

Decorating By merly Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 3:53am by JanH

merly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merly Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a wedding cake for a friend in September and they want buttercream frosting (no fondant) with scrolls along the middle of each tier. No problem. My question is do you think I should make the scrolls out of buttercream or royal icing? If I was doing a fondant cake, I'd definitely do royal icing, but the buttercream has me thrown for a loop. Any suggestions? Thanks!

4 replies
heycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heycupcake Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 6:13am
post #2 of 5

I would do the BC---but then again---thats me.

I have a pic in my photos of a wedding cake I did that sounds similar...i used all bd..it was easy--and that way it tastes the same...
=)

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 9:21am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by heycupcake

I would do the BC---but then again---thats me.

I have a pic in my photos of a wedding cake I did that sounds similar...i used all bd..it was easy--and that way it tastes the same...
=)

Your wedding cake is actually in my favs and I as I have only ever worked with bc (all of 5 weeks in total) and am currently learning how to make RI flowers (which I don't care for - the flowers are nice but I have ruined 2 mixers and I think they taste terrible to boot) I was wondering if you could give some pointers on how to get square cakes looking so good. Your cake looks sooo smooth. I've only tried the round cakes that they had us do in Course I so far and am just in Class II so no cakes yet. I can't take course III until late summer early fall as our instructor will be off until then so I won't learn fondant. I'd like to try my hand at bc square cake but am a little scared about tackling it...... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to the OP for barging in on this topic and I think you should also use the BC (just my personal preference).....

Cheers and good luck,

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:13am
post #4 of 5

I use bc for everything....never use RI.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:53am
post #5 of 5

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%