Agbay Leveler

Business By karateka Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 1:44am by southernbelle

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 6

I'm considering buying an agbay leveler.

Would you recommend the deluxe model or the regular one? I work out of my home legally. Maybe at the most 2 cakes per week right now, hopefully more later.

I know there is a $100 difference, so the deluxe would be a bigger equipment write off.

Also...if any of you have used the styrofoam cutting blade, pls let me know how you like it.

Thanks!

5 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 6

Hi - for two cakes a week I don't think you need the deluxe model. The regular model will still torte layers quite thin and very nicely.

I used the regular blade on a styrofoam dummy and it worked very well. But its probably not good for the blade and will dull it over time. The woman who sells these is great to talk to and she could probably give you more information.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 6

For two cakes a week, I would recommend going with the regular, unless you anticipate a lot more future business and can fork over the extra $100.

I personally have the regular version and torte all my layer cakes (not sheet cakes).

One thing to consider, the regular version bottoms out at about 1", since I use the SPS system I normally cut my layers to a litle under 1 7/8 for buttercream, less for fondant, so I have a large plastic 1/2" thick base I put my cakes on for torting to give me an exact halfway cut. You can also place them on the bottom side of the pan too.

DesignerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerCakes Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 6

I started with the single blade model and found it very frustrating to readjust the blade each time. Since I bake in three inch pans, I tort each cake to get two layers. That means I need to tort and level each one. I sold the single blade to a friend who wanted it, and bought the two blade model. It was definitely worth the additional $100. It also comes with a blade cleaner with the single blade model didn't offer.

Now I just level and tort in one pass and don't have to keep adjusting the blade up and down for each. In the scheme of things, that extra step saves me time and aggravation so I think it's worth it. I make 1 to 3 wedding cakes a week and I consider my Agbay leveler to be my most indispensible tool.

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 6

Do you level and torte each of your cakes? If so get the deluxe model. Assuming you are planning to grow your business you will be using it more than 2x a week in the future; it is better to invest in the right tool now instead of finding you need to upgrade later (which will cost you more). If you only level your cakes (and would never need to make 2 cuts at the same time) the single blade model would be all you'd need.
HTH! icon_smile.gif

southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:44am
post #6 of 6

I bought the regular model several months ago..................best money I ever spent. Considered the double blade but really don't need it. Call them and talk to the owner, she is very helpful and will give you all the information you need to make your decision.

I didn't get the styrofoam blade so I can't comment about that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%