What Is The Best Method For Putting A Black Logo On A Cake?

Decorating By nicki9doors Updated 26 Apr 2008 , 4:12pm by nicki9doors

nicki9doors Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicki9doors Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone,

I have a sheet cake that I will be making for this weekend for a charitable event (I'm involved with the charity so I'm just charging for ingredients and not time so I'm keeping the whole cake somewhat simple.)

I would like to add the logo to the cake, it is for about 190 people so it's big and so I would like the logo to be fairly large. I first thought of doing a frozen buttercream transfer but the logo is entirely black and I am a bit worried that the colour will bleed. If I did this I planned to use store-bought black icing too so I wasn't sure how that really worked.

My next thought was to do a frozen chocolate transfer, but I only billed for the cost of buttercream icing and to do such a large logo I am wondering if I would end up losing even more money on this.

Can anyone give any suggestions? I will probably be back too for some ideas with the rest of the cake, I am supposed to use the napkin for inspiration and I'm not sure where I'm going with that yet.

7 replies
nicki9doors Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 8

I also thought I should mention that the cake is being delivered on Friday afternoon but it won't be served until Saturday morning at 11:00 am. This is why I am most concerned about the bleeding since I cannot put the transfer on right before the cake is served.

spidy-man Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spidy-man Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 8

You can use color flow or royal icing.

I have attached the instructions for using color flow from the Wilton site, but it is the same technique with royal icing. Royal icing won't be as hard thought

Hope this helps.

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 8

What does the logo look like? Can you attach a picture of it? I'm a big fan of doing fondant plaques. And if you use the cheapo wilton, you could get at small box of it fairly inexpensive. I know it's nasty, but I wouldn't recommend anyone eat the black anyway, unless everyone is wanting purple mouths for the evening. If you have some left over colored fondant, I make my black by combining my colors and adding black. Makes for little waste. Then you could paint or pipe any details on the fondant.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 12:39am
post #5 of 8

I would also suggest color flow as it will hold up longer and is less likely to bleed than a FBCT. I have a few designs in my photos that I have left on a cake for a bit without bleeding - and some have very dark colours.

nicki9doors Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 8

Here are pics of the logo and of the napkin. I am planning to use some of the colours of the napkin as a border since it is just supposed to be my inspiration.

I am not sure what a fondant plaque is, if anyone could explain? I have used colorflow in the past but I read that leaving it on top of buttercream icing can make it disintegrate. I think royal icing would be easier for me if it will work.

I also considered cutting the letters out of fondant but I'm not sure if that is better than the other options you are all suggesting.

Thanks for the help!

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:22am
post #7 of 8

I've left a color flow piece on a BC cake for some time - many hours - and it will get soft after days. Color flow is a form of royal icing, and some think it dries harder. I'm not sure which would be better, but I would guess color flow.

nicki9doors Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 4:12pm
post #8 of 8

I ended up using colorflow - it worked great and the color of the black turned out very well after I left the pieces to dry. I did not have any wax paper on hand so I used plastic wrap and the pieces lifted off so easily! I only broke one of the letters but it was fortunately not very noticeable.

The only problem was that I had a total cake disaster when I delivered the final product! When I was driving somebody completely cut me off, forcing me to slam on my brakes and I actually had to swerve off to the side of the road to avoid hitting them. Unfortunately this caused the cake to go flying under the back seat of my van (it was not in a box because I could not find a box that large). It would have been okay except that the seatbelt had somehow gotten wedged through the back of the seat and was dangling so when the cake hit this it knocked the top left corner border off and destroyed where I had written "Happy 10th Anniversary" (color flow logo was okay!).

This was my first damaged cake so I was a little unsure what to do - when I got to the location though I took off the writing and smoothed the area (still looked a bit funny coloured but not too bad). I also took the border from the back of the cake around the bottom and cut pieces of it to transfer to the top corner. We went to the grocery store and bought a tube of green icing and I had to use a ziploc bag with the corner cut out to redo the writing. Surprisingly I actually preferred this final cake since my original writing was not the way I wanted it. So it was scary and stressful but worked out in the end.

I didn't have a pic of the cake before the problem but I do have one from after so I'll post it later.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%