Has Anyone Ever Used Chefrubber Rings?

Decorating By stacyd Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 1:31pm by CarolAnn

stacyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyd Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 15

I saw in the American Cake Decorating Magazine an ad for Chef Rubber and these stainless steel rings that you build your cake layers in. According to the ad, this eliminates the need for crumb coating, makes the icing perfectly smooth, and makes all layers the exact same height and size. Has anyone ever used these? I would buy them if they worked, but it seems too easy!

14 replies
Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:50am
post #2 of 15

I couldn't find the rings you described on the chef rubber web site. Maybe you can post the exact URL. for the rings

stacyd Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 15

Here is the link. Hopefully seeing it helps someone identify if they have used it.

https://www.shopchefrubber.com/product.php?productid=2308&cat=1215&page=1

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 12:20am
post #4 of 15

How would these be used? I stared at the picture for awhile, but I still don't get it, icon_redface.gif wish there was a description.

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 12:34am
post #5 of 15

I can see how you could level a cake layer with this, but the rest of the claims are not so clear.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 12:40am
post #6 of 15

I use a technique like Scott's. You must use a european style buttercream for it to work. Powdered sugar frosting won't cut it. You basically ice the inside of the rings, drop in the layers and fillings, ice the top, pop it in the freezer, pull it out, torch it and the cake pops out smooth as a babies bottom. He was demoing the techinique at the RBA show last fall with Marina de Sousa.

stacyd Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 1:06am
post #7 of 15

On Page 53 of the ACD Feb/Mar issue it has instructions. I would scan but my scanner is broke! It says: place cake ring on a flat surface, spread buttercream around interior walls of ring, smooth the buttercream to an even thickness of about 1/2", place a layer of cake centered in the bottom of the ring; Use a piping bag to fill any gaps around the perimeter of the cake layer. Alternate layers of cake and filling. Finish just below the top fo the ring with the last layer of cake. Top off the ring with buttercream and smooth flat. Use a heat gun or hair dryer to gently warm the sides of the ring. Stop heating when the ring is evenly and readily pulled upward. . The cake is built quickly with straight sides and a level top. Not need for crumb coating or smoothing!

andpotts Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 4:21am
post #8 of 15

Well those sound really neat. Has anyoe here actually used them with good results? Seems too good to be true, but I would buy them if they work, not saying much though since I'm always tempted to buy stuff on late night infomercials too icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 6:33am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by andpotts

Well those sound really neat. Has anyoe here actually used them with good results? Seems too good to be true, but I would buy them if they work, not saying much though since I'm always tempted to buy stuff on late night infomercials too icon_smile.gif

Definitely seems like it would be a great thing to add to our accessories. If someone has used these it would be great to get some feedback and how to info.

Cheers! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 2:45pm
post #10 of 15

i too saw this ad in the decoraters cake book, and i was wondering about them, if anyone buys them post us on how the do im all for easy street,

andpotts Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:13am
post #11 of 15

So since no one is answering, I'm getting the feeling these aren't as good as they sound icon_sad.gif

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:11am
post #12 of 15

This sounds like a neat concept, but yeah don't know how well it would actually work!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:19pm
post #13 of 15

you would have to buy so many sizes it might be cost prohibitive, IMO

plus I only work with crusting BC, and that does not work?

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:31pm
post #14 of 15

Still can't see the link - anyone have an item number so I can see them?

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:31pm
post #15 of 15

I used that link to take a look and was denied access. Pooh!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%