How To Make Plaid Effect

Decorating By froglover Updated 13 Apr 2008 , 6:47pm by TooMuchCake

froglover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froglover Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 4

I've been asked for a heart cake with black and white plaid. icon_eek.gif I do have an airbrush but I have NO idea how to pull this off. Does anyone have ideas or examples? Anything would help thanks

3 replies
bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 4

I would suggest you cut a template from clear plastic and airbrush the black part of the plaid on the white cake. Cut a variety of stripes...different width like a plaid fabric....and airbrush the stencil vertically then horizontally... where the black crosses black previously applied, you get deeper shades and will resemble a plaid fabric.

You can also use plain paper to cut a template/stencil but it is easier to see with the 'see thru' kind for placement. An exacto knife will do a good job cutting for you or you might be able to use tiny scissors to cut stripes. I have often printed out a design from the computer and cut out and used as a stencil.

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 4

You could also take a scrapbook paper or other plaid image and make an edible image and use that. I will be trying that for a grooms cake in June.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 4

Aine2 has a video tutorial out on how she makes plaid. I hope the link wasn't lost in The Crash, but maybe you can search for Aine2's posts and see if you can find it?

Deanna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%