How About A Thread To Seriously Discuss Making Cupcakes?????

Baking By Cookies4kids Updated 11 Dec 2020 , 12:18pm by -K8memphis

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 5:16am
post #9961 of 11579

hey guys! I haven't been in this thread in ages! I don't even wanna pretend I've read every single post.

Any suggestions for Easter cupcakes?

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 12:10pm
post #9962 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

I'm going to look for those marshmallows, yum yum.

This has nothing to do with cupcakes, but I figured this group (Melvira, miss paint roller on buttercream) would appreciate. I "layed out" today for the first time of the season. Wasn't thinking much of it as I grabbed my tanning aid of choice because I've used the same thing since high school. Crisco spray. *pause for reaction* it works and doesn't reak!

Speaking of "tools of the trade". My DH is building a plane and he needed a tool to fill all of the rivets. Not all builders fill the rivets. It's just a cosmetic thing. He said those little tips and bags would be perfect for that! So he looked through my tips and found a #7 that would work. I had to give him some of my bags and couplers. Of course I have to go buy another tip. That's the only 7 I had.
I used to do a lot of woodworking and I got frustrated because he would always use my tools and then I couldn't find them. I thought cake decorating would be one he wouldn't be able to steal anything from. Well, I guess I was wrong! icon_lol.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 12:44pm
post #9963 of 11579

Yep, GrandmaG... nothing is sacred! But, it's a good way to get new tips. Tell him he can use it, but he's got to get you three replacements to make up for your inconvenience! Hahahaha. Kidding!

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 12:49pm
post #9964 of 11579

I bumped into this link on the web and thought you guys might like it.
High school chemistry a la cupcake!
http://www.womansday.com/Articles/Food/Recipes/Periodic-Table-of-Cupcakes.html

GrandmaG Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 12:52pm
post #9965 of 11579

He always says that he will Mel but I still end up getting them anyway. I don't know what he would do without me! icon_lol.gif You got to love 'em! He's a type A so I think it's funny how he even tries to tell me how to decorate a cake and he knows nothing about cooking or baking!

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 12:53pm
post #9966 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahk

I bumped into this link on the web and thought you guys might like it.
High school chemistry a la cupcake!
http://www.womansday.com/Articles/Food/Recipes/Periodic-Table-of-Cupcakes.html

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

GrandmaG Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 12:56pm
post #9967 of 11579

Those are great Leah! Thanks!
Notice how the kiss sunk down to the bottom of the red velvet? I did that once and they stick to the paper.

Melvira Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 1:08pm
post #9968 of 11579

Leah that is awesome!!!! Thanks!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 1:09pm
post #9969 of 11579

leahk.. Thanks ! Love it !

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 11:54pm
post #9970 of 11579

GrandmaG - that is hilarious!

I bought 4 little terra cotta pots at the craft store. I want to bake cupcakes in them and decorate like little flowers - we've all seen that before. My question is, how do i go about baking in the pots? Do I grease them first or soak in water? line with parchment?

Melvira Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:15am
post #9971 of 11579

I am assuming you got the unglazed ones? I would just grease them lightly. I think that just looks so adorable. thumbs_up.gif

sayhellojana Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:19am
post #9972 of 11579

Ok, a light grease. And that will make the cake not stick and it's food safe (safe enough, at least. just family)

Melvira Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:23am
post #9973 of 11579

Hmmm... I see those bread kits all the time and I think they are just plain terra cotta... I don't know that they are special in any way. Can anyone else verify that? Hold on...

You know what? I would line with parchment just to be sure because the terra cotta bakeware that I've seen is actually glazed inside.

sayhellojana Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:32am
post #9974 of 11579

Ok. I will line it with parchment. I can't think of anything bad that terra cotta would do, but I rather be safe than sorry.

Melvira Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:43am
post #9975 of 11579

That's what I was thinking too.

jamiemichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiemichelle Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:52am
post #9976 of 11579

Does anyone have a chocolate cake, scratch recipe, that will make a nicely domed cupcake? I used yummymummy's white cake recipe and my cupcakes turned out beautiful. Now I am looking for a corresponding chocolate cake recipe. Many thanks.

sayhellojana Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 3:54am
post #9977 of 11579

jamiemichelle - I use a varriation of the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate cake recipe from the back of the carton (it's also online). In place of milk, use half milk half sour cream. It always rises better for me, and has a fudgier texture, this way icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 11:48am
post #9978 of 11579

sayhellojana, is that batter thick or very wet?

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 12:42pm
post #9979 of 11579

Hi my cuppie friends. Just stopping by to catch up a little bit and to say I miss you all. Have been really busy so haven't gotten a chance to make anything extra but the ones that are ordered. We are all doing great though and it's nice to see that most of you are also.

Mel I think you did a great job with the video and it really helps because I'm just not great at doing roses of any kind but I will try your version and see what happens if I ever get time to.

Fiddle how is your brother doing? I hope he's better and I will continue to pray for your family.

jamiemichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiemichelle Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:32pm
post #9980 of 11579

Jana, I'll try that recipe with the sour cream. I made it as stated on the box and my cupcakes came out with flat tops and a very spongy texture. The flavor was good though but I prefer a denser cake.

Any other good chocolate cupcake recipes?

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:38pm
post #9981 of 11579

SayHelloJanna--thanks for the tip on the chocolate cake recipe. If I ever have time to bake from scratch again I'll give it a try icon_smile.gif
Aquamom

GrandmaG Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 2:12pm
post #9982 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiemichelle

Jana, I'll try that recipe with the sour cream. I made it as stated on the box and my cupcakes came out with flat tops and a very spongy texture. The flavor was good though but I prefer a denser cake.

Jamie, if you click on the cupcake link under Fiddlestick's signature there are tons of cupcake recipes!

Melvira Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 2:52pm
post #9983 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

The perfectly chocolate batter comes out very runny.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 3:20pm
post #9984 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

The perfectly chocolate batter comes out very runny.

Just as I thought. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

sayhellojana Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 4:18pm
post #9985 of 11579

What mel said, even with the addition of sour cream, it is still super thin

Pat317 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pat317 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 11:25pm
post #9986 of 11579

Jana, You may want to look at this site http://brightideas.com/bright_idea.aspx?ID=198 The cupcakes are placed in the top of the flower pots. Not exactly how you want to do them, but cute just the same. There are other flower ideas there also.

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 12:08am
post #9987 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiemichelle

I use the WASC recipe with a DH devils Food cake mix and I have nice results!

Melvira Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 1:30am
post #9988 of 11579

Pat those are cute as heck! Thanks for sharing!

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:23am
post #9989 of 11579

just completed a wedding shower cake - white with strawberry buttercream filling...have a lot leftover...would like to whip up some cuppies using something other that a white cupcake or strawberry...what do you suggest?

Pat317 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pat317 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:48pm
post #9990 of 11579

Today is my birthday (March 17). I was going out tonight to celebrate but, when I leaned over to blow out all the candles on my cake.......I burned off my eyebrows. Happy St. Pat's Day everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%