Should I Try To Lay Fondant Over Both Layers?

Decorating By jacky1974 Updated 5 May 2008 , 7:46pm by jacky1974

jacky1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jacky1974 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 4:24am
post #1 of 9

This will be my 1st wedding cake, AND 1st time using fondant. Am I in over my head? Maybe a little!
The bottom is a big 16 inch double layer square, on top of that is a 14 inch single layer square. And then a round on that, but my question is: Do I need to do the short layer on a cake board, wiht it's own fondant, or can I just put it on top and fondant over the whole 14 on the 16?[img]
LL

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 4:29am
post #2 of 9

Each tier gets its own fondant. Then you stack.

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:49am
post #3 of 9

Don't try to cover two layers at the same time with fondant. That will make the top of the layer heavy and it will probably sink into the bottom layer. Put each layer on a cake board and cover with fondant. It will be so much easier to stack that way.

Remember to make a center hole in all of the cake boards, so that when they are all stacked you can put a dowel through the whole thing. It will keep the layers from sliding.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 5:38am
post #4 of 9

Practice with the fondant before you really need to do the cake...you'll be glad you did. You should try doing a square cake. The first time I put fondant on a square cake, I learned a lot, and didn't have a perfect cake because of the learning process (it was the tiffany box cake in my photos, and the pearls on the corners were covering up a little bit of distress at the bottom)...but next time I will get it exactly right.

The advantage to doing the 14" square and the 16" square separately is that when you take the 14" off to cut it, the fondant on the 16" will still be nice, so that the pieces on the bottom tier look good too. Also, I don't think you could get nice corners at all on the 14" if you did them together.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 9

oh no, do not do them together! You got some good advice already. Just want to tell yo that I concur!

jacky1974 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 9

Wow! What would I do without the advice of seasoned cake pros on CC? Struggle, alot! Thank you EVERYONE. I am so glad that I asked. I will do tham all seperately and use lots of supports.
I am so nervous about making a wedding cake. I've got a few weeks to practice, so I'll do what you've all suggested.
Wish me Luck... I will post pics as soon as it is all done.
THANKS

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 10:41pm
post #7 of 9

Ya for sure will be easier and look better!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 10:47pm
post #8 of 9

If you have a few weeks I'd order sugarshacks fondant video. She walks you through step by step on square and round cakes. It's worth every penny!

jacky1974 Posted 5 May 2008 , 7:46pm
post #9 of 9

It went Really, Really Well! Thank you for the advice. The cake turned out Great! Fondant was much easier than I had thought. I'm so glad I gave it a try. I will post a photo... Take a look at my 1st ever Wedding Cake and 1st time using fondant!
It won't be my last!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%