Covering A Chocolate Cake In White Fondant

Decorating By 2muchsugar Updated 13 Apr 2008 , 3:29pm by 2muchsugar

2muchsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2muchsugar Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:33am
post #1 of 8

Does anyone ever cover chocolate cakes with white fondant? I have a customer that wants chocolate cake with dark chocolate ganache and white fondant (no white buttercream underneath the fondant). Does the dark color show through or cause shadows?

Anyone ever tried it with good results?

7 replies
khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 8:03am
post #2 of 8

All the time. I use a crust coat of white buttercream and to make sure the dark color doesn't show through I roll the fondant to no less than 1/3" thickness. If you want the fondant to have a chocolate flavor then use the LorAnn chocolate flavored oil.

2muchsugar Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:19pm
post #3 of 8

Okay, but what if you don't use a crust coat of white buttercream? The bride is specific about only wanting chocolate ganache underneath and no buttercream whatsoever... Does that still work?

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:39pm
post #4 of 8

I have done this without a problem, but I rolled my fondant thicker than usual to make sure it wouldn't show. I rolled the fondant to about 1/4 inch and the chocolate did not show at all. The only problem I had was at a little section I put a little too much chocolate and it wanted to squish out under the fondant. Other than that you couldn't tell at all.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 8

i have done it with dark ganache and white fondnat and u cannot see it

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 8

Great topic, something I was always curious about thanks for the responses.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 12:00am
post #7 of 8

If you look in my pics at the top of the first page, the little Dr. Seuss-looking cake was a marble cake covered in dark chocolate ganache and then the fondant, and it worked beautifully, much to my surprise.

2muchsugar Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for your replies. I'm gonna try it and I'll post the results!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%