Large Cookie Order

Baking By loriemoms Updated 12 Apr 2008 , 7:10pm by kendi25

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:55am
post #1 of 18

I dont normally do cookies, but I took an order for 300 cookie favors for a wedding. (along with the wedding cake) They are sugar cookies with royal icing on them...I was going to dedicate an afternoon to just icing them (I am not very fast at it) I was wondering how far in advance I can make the cookies without them getting stale? (they will be placed in plastic cello bags with ties) I use the no fail sugar cookie recipe found here (I LOVE that recipe..I have used it for christmas cookies several seasons now and its the best!) If I made them like on a Monday would they still be fresh on Saturday?

Thanks!

17 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:36am
post #2 of 18

Your timeline is good, they will still be fresh, after icing I usually let mine set to dry for 24 hrs out in the air and then bag. Once bagged I have let them sit for up to a week and everyone is still happy with them.

However for that many cookies I suggest starting a month or two in advance. This is what I do.

- Mix up the dough
- Roll it out
- Cut out the cookies you need
- Pull excess away from cut outs
- Put pan in freezer w/cut outs still on it for about 15 mins
- Repeat above 4 steps
- Take frozen cut outs off of pan and stack them in a container w/wax paper between the layers - put back in freezer
- continually repeat the above 2 steps until you have all of your cookies

I then bake while frozen and just add an extra minute onto the time, let them cool and then ice.

This breaks up a lot of the work and makes it a little more time maneagable.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:57am
post #3 of 18

Sorry to hijack, but I have a question about freezing.

Leily, when I freeze/chill my dough even for like 20 minutes (sometimes I get busy and it's in there longer than just to chill), if I put waxed paper (or even parchment) between my layers, I can't get the cookies apart/off the paper. Have you had this problem, and how do you avoid it if you did?

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:10pm
post #4 of 18

I just did abot 200 cookies as a favor to a friend for her daughter's bat mitzvah. I used the NFSC recipe too. The party was on a Saturday. I baked almost all of the cookies the Monday (and one full batch on Tuesday morning) prior and started icing them on Tuesday, finishing the icing on Wednesday (there were a lot of cookies and they each had several colors). Then I let them dry for about 36 hours before I bagged them on Friday.

They were fine (and I am notoriously compulsive about food safety kinds of things because I have a family with extreme intestinal issues). I don't keep my cookies "out" on the table while drying, though, I put them in closed contianers of some sort so they don't get stale or get dust on them or anything.

As far as freezing, I do have a quesiton...
I tried some samples a few weeks earlier to see if I could make and freeze them a week or two before. They tasted fine (no freezer burn), but I thought they were a bit more crisp than when they are fresh. Have any of you had that same experience? Do you know if there is any way to keep the consistency softer if they are made in advance and then frozen?

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:51pm
post #5 of 18

Loriemoms -
This is just what I do, but I always want to give the freshest product possible to the customer. If I'm not going to frost them right away I always put any size order in the freezer. I never let unfrosted cookies sit out even overnight. And if you do your own taste tests you'll see that there is a definite difference in quality between a cookie that's been sitting in a bag for a day or two versus sitting in a bag for a week. Yes, they're still edible, but not nearly as tasty, IMO, as a fresher one. So the closer you can frost and bag them to the actual date is always best.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 4:27pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniebakes

They were fine (and I am notoriously compulsive about food safety kinds of things because I have a family with extreme intestinal issues). I don't keep my cookies "out" on the table while drying, though, I put them in closed contianers of some sort so they don't get stale or get dust on them or anything.

Same here (food safety, intestinal issues, and containers). I use new underbed storage boxes lined with waxed paper to store my cookies while they dry and/or before packaging.

loriemoms Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 4:51pm
post #7 of 18

Freezing! Never thought of that! That sounds like a great idea to me...that way I just cut all the cookies one day and throw them in the freezer and get it all done. I like that!

I always leave cookies out on racks, never thought about that could make them stale faster! So I love this idea even more so, so I can just bake them, let them cool and get them ready ... you guys are the greatest!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 18

don't know if you're interested but I completely baked, iced, and decorated NFSC with antonia's royal and painted with americolor gels and then layered them between parchment wrapped em' really good and froze them for 2 weeks, when I took them out to thaw I just left them on top of the fridge for a day and unwrapped them the next day and here they are.........this is AFTER freezing...and they look exactlly the same as before!

Tina
LL

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:05pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

Leily, when I freeze/chill my dough even for like 20 minutes (sometimes I get busy and it's in there longer than just to chill), if I put waxed paper (or even parchment) between my layers, I can't get the cookies apart/off the paper. Have you had this problem, and how do you avoid it if you did?

Hmm I have never had this problem.

I roll out on parchment paper on my cookie sheet. Then do my cutouts and pull off as much excess as I can w/o ruining the cookies. Then put in the freezer for 15-20 mins (sometimes longer b/c I am notorious for forgetting that last pan in there) I am only freezing one layer at a time and I do not stack them until they are firm.

When they come out they are firm and I slide the parchment off the edge of the counterso the paper rolls off the back of the cookie (like how they recommend taking color flow and royal icing off of paper once dry)

Hopefully this helps clear some things up, if it doesn't please give me some more details and I would be happy to help clear up this problem. This process saves me so much time!

And to answer the question about keeping them fresh once frozen. I freeze the dough so I do not freeze after they are baked (some people do but I can taste too much of a difference between them being fresh and frozen once baked)

HTH

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:52pm
post #10 of 18

KHalstead - do you freeze cookies a lot after frosting them? Do you ever have troubles with dark colors bleeding when you do that? I've only done it a time or two for my own family and kind of remember the color bleeding being a slight issue one time.

On another note, I think frosted sugar cookies freeze wonderfully. Even though I don't do it for customers, all my Easter customers froze theirs for a week or so after picking them up. They all knew they had to do this if they wanted Easter cookies because I had to take early orders since I was going to be gone the week before Easter. The people I've heard back from said it worked perfectly...but my easter cookies didn't have any darker colors either.

On yet ANOTHER note (sorry this is long), I did a wedding order for 300 white snowflakes over Christmas. The wedding was the weekend after Christmas and since we were having company I did them all two weeks in advance, frosted and bagged and froze them for her until she needed them. She simply raved about them even after being frozen for 2 weeks...but I knew I could do this with all white frosting...no bleeding issues. Can you imagine doing a huge order, and pulling them out of the freezer later to find that the colors have bled??!!!! That's my only fear!!

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:54pm
post #11 of 18

Quick question for KHalstead: Have you ever painted on Toba's Glace?

(Stunning cookies, BTW! icon_biggrin.gif )

loriemoms Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 1:34am
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydukes

Quick question for KHalstead: Have you ever painted on Toba's Glace?

(Stunning cookies, BTW! icon_biggrin.gif )

OMG I agree! Those are BEAUTIFUL cookies!!!!!

sicookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sicookie Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 1:50am
post #13 of 18

I had the same question about freezing a frosted cookie. I froze a white cookie with rec accents for about 2 weeks. When I defrosted it, I just left it sitting in its packaging on the counter for a day, when i unwrapped it, it tasted exactly as i put it in the freezer, and there was no color bleeding at all.

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:29am
post #14 of 18

Holy Smokes KHalstead those are some gorgeous cookies!!!!!!!!!!

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 2:33pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by busymom9431

Ditto!!!! Gorgeous!

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:49pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymom9431

Ditto!!!! Gorgeous!

Add me to your fan club! - BEAUTIFUL! Is this technique explained anywhere on this board? If so, please provide a link!

sicookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sicookie Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 6:34pm
post #17 of 18

khalstead, Those cookies are really georgous. could you please tell me how you did them?

kendi25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendi25 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 7:10pm
post #18 of 18

I would love to know the technique also - Thanks a lot

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%