Help With Pricing

Decorating By stacyt Updated 12 Apr 2008 , 8:45pm by leily

stacyt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyt Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:45am
post #1 of 10

My boss is doing a breast cancer awareness seminar next month and she asked me do to the desserts. She wants a full sheet cake, two pink ribbon cakes and like 18 dozen ribbon cookies. I have no idea where to start with this. I don't want to price it too high and I really don't want to price it too low. Any help would really be appreciated!

9 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:31am
post #2 of 10

First you have to figure out what she wants for servings for the cake. A lot of people don't know how many a full sheet feeds, and even within the cake community the idea of what a full sheet cake is is different.

I typically consider a full sheet cake (2) 12x18 next to each other for a total of 108 servings (2x2x2). As for the pink ribbon cakes if you are using the wilton pan I think that is one box which usually feeds about 18-20.

So we're looking at about 148 servings of cake at my $2.50/serving = $370

I charge $1/inch on decorated cookies. My ribon cookies are 3" so my price would be $648 for the cookies if they are boxed up, if they are individually wrapped then they are $1 more per pkg (I wrap in a cellophane bag w/curly ribbon and a card if they want it)

So total for the order would be $1018 w/delivery in city limits of my town.

Just remember that it is not food for $1018 it is enough food to serve 367 ppl, that is a lot of people.

If you do smaller cookies that would help w/cost also. Dont' forget to take into consideration delivery time also. Can you fit everything in your vehicle in one trip or will you be looking at multiple trips?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:56am
post #3 of 10

I cant' add anything to what leily said except that she said it PERFECTLY!!! thumbs_up.gif

leily Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I cant' add anything to what leily said except that she said it PERFECTLY!!! thumbs_up.gif

icon_redface.gif aww you make me blush debi

stacyt Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 10

Wow! Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it! I should be able to fit it all. We are expecting around 400 people to attend. She called a local bakery and they told her it would be about $600 for a full sheet cake 18 dozen cookies and two 1/4 sheet cakes, so unfortunately I think she's thinking along those lines for my pricing. If not alittle less since I'm not a "professional". But thank you so much for your help!!!
I would also like to add that your cakes and cookies are beautiful, both of you!

willman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
willman Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 4:18am
post #6 of 10

here in minnesota where I have a bakery in southern minn. I would charge 9.95 dozen for cookies and around 50.00 for the sheet cake and the ribbon cakes would be around 30.00to 50.00 depending if they were 1/4 or 1/2 sheet cakes for the ribbon cakes.

stacyt Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:06pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you, that is also very helpful. I think that is more along the pricing that she is thinking. Do you guys adjust your prices if the customer whats a filling for the sheet cakes or is that included in your pricing?

leily Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 4:37pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyt

Thank you, that is also very helpful. I think that is more along the pricing that she is thinking. Do you guys adjust your prices if the customer whats a filling for the sheet cakes or is that included in your pricing?

I consider a sheet cake 2" cake with no filling. If they want filling then they go to a 4" cake with one or two layers of filling and there is a different price for that.

Filling cost you more and if you put it in a 2" cake then you have to torte so that takes more time also, so you need to figure your extra time in to your price.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 5:28pm
post #9 of 10

leily, if you keep saying word for word what I was going to say, it's going to really cut down on the number of posts I make! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

leily Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 8:45pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

leily, if you keep saying word for word what I was going to say, it's going to really cut down on the number of posts I make! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

LOL, you can just keep telling me i'm right then icon_smile.gificon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%